Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new svt isn't as growly as i thought

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thelastofus, Mar 27, 2003.

1. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    I recently picked up a new svt classic and i always assumed this amp would be a lot growlier than it is. my gain's maxed out and everything else is around 7. the tubes are stock, would replacing the driver or preamp tubes with a higher gain tube make any difference, it doesn't seem to have as much of the "ampeg" sound it should.

(P.S. and i'm done buying amps for a while so please, i know vintage ones are considered better but please no suggestions to buy one of those instead i really could go without the gas for a while)

2. As the sun sets

As the sun sets Guest

Dec 10, 2002
    N. Easton, MA
    you have the gain at 10 and the amp isn't growly? there's gotta be something up with that. if you crank the preamp all the way up on a tube amp, there HAS to be some growl to it. it's overdriving the tubes.

3. okieblues

okieblues

Mar 29, 2003
    ada, oklahoma
    i use an svt classic head with an ampeg 1x15 cab for small gigs and an ampeg 8x10 cab for larger venues with an old passive p-bass and with this set-up i get loads of growl when overdriven slightly. what cab are you playing through and is your bass active or passive?

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

There definitely is a problem.
    Can't get much growlier than a SVT head.

5. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    i play thru a (passive) american pbass and an 8x10 and use ernie ball slinkys. I know this isn't the string forum but for those who've played this set up do you have any other string recomendations? The Ernie Ball's aren't lasting real long and I've been thinking about trying some fenders. Also, could there be a problem with my preamp tubes? I was thinking maybe replacing them with some higher gain ones? Not sure. I got the floor model at Guitar Center and am now kinda hoping the tubes are okay cause I know there's been a million people who just flip both switches at the same time. Not sure how bad this is on the tubes but just curious. thanks.

6. Try Mullards in the pre-amp (if you can afford them).