New SVT versus old SVT?????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fusion, Aug 8, 2001.

1. What is the difference between the original SVT and the newer classic SVT and SVT Pro II. I know everyone says the difference is that the older ones sound better, but why? What is in the guts of the old ones that make it sound better? I was looking at this one on ebay, it looks to be in really good condition.

Any opinions on it?: :)
  2. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    i don't know about either svt, but i do know that buying tube amps on the internet is VERY risky business... espescially if there's no return policy. Even if you get lucky and get a working head... you're going to have to spend serious $$ to replace the tubes. Not saying its a bad deal.. juse be careful.
  3. masaru

Aug 8, 2001
    Okinawa, Japan
    I have owned both the original and reissued classic and honestly found no difference. They both sound awesome but I've taken to using an SVT preamp with a power amp because of a) the cost of replacing tubes and b) the sheer weight of the monsters! The heads feel like they weigh almost as much as the 8x10 cabs do!!!
  4. masaru

Aug 8, 2001
    Okinawa, Japan
    Isn't it because they make them out of concrete instead of wood???
  5. VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    One of my most regretable decisions was to sell my, now "vintage," SVT/9-10." A slave to fashion I simply wasn't thinking clearly at all.

One of the true jewels of this site is Psycho Bass Guy. Some time ago he offered up what I feel was an honest and informative review of the current crop of things that glow in the dark.

His step by step on how to hot rod the SVT left me with the wee wee chils. I've been on the prowel for another SVT ever since that post. 03-14-2000 01:59 PM.

I printed out the entire eleven page thread and have it tucked away in the November 2000 issue of Bass Player page 38 of the Mike Dint (he's got two)interview. Its worth the search.
  6. Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    Vic, can you give me a link to this post or a thread title? I did three searches and still can't find it...
  7. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I've also heard there is no difference between the Yugo and the Mercedes. They're identical, each has rubber tires (4 of 'em) AND a circular steering device.

Well, anyway. I've also owned both and there is a HUGE difference between the two amps. They sound, uh, way different. The Classic has almost none of the heft and punch of the original. And even the tonal characteristics are vastly different. Look for PBG's numerous posts on why that is. I will say this, however: they are both rectangular and weigh a lot.