1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New SWR Rig!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Red Planet, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Been waiting on this stuff to come in.

Picked up the SWR Marcus Miller M2 Preamp, the SWR Goliath IV 4X10, and to power it all I eneded up with a Yamaha P5000S Power Amp.

The Power amp puts out 750 watts per side Stereo at 4 ohms and my Cab is 4 ohms, so I'm only running one side of the amp. At some point I will add another Goliath 4x10 to the other side of the Amp. BTW this amp weighs in at 26 pounds.

People have gotten onto SWR here lately about not addressing the leight weight concepts and new product development, after getting this stuff I dissagree.

The SWR MM Preamp is only 13 pounds and while that may be heavy as far as Bass Preamps go this thing covers all the bases. It has a four knob compressor, two knob bass intensifier circuit, boost control with adjustable compressor level (to control the amount of compression when boosting the signal), aural enhancer, semi parametric EQ, balanced XLR outputs not only on the DI but on the out to Power Amp as well, and all kind of other stuff. With this unit you really dont need any other outboard gear other than maybe a Tuner and FX Unit (if you use FX's, I dont).

The Goliath cab (though I am not familiar with previous versions of this cab) is much smaller, lighter, and easier to carry over my Ampeg SVT 4X10 HLF or my Boogie Powerhouse 4X10. The Boogie is extremely large and bulky/hard to move. The Ampeg is as big as the Boogie and taller but easier with the handle and wheels to move, though it is too freaking easy to scratch up while moving it. Everytime I went to play it came back with new marks on it. I like the carpet of the SWR better even though it will get the fuzzys at some point but that is easy to shave down if you know how.

The Goliath cab is tight but with plenty of Bottom End especially after kicking in the Bass Intensifier Circuit on the Preamp.

With this rig I can go from Midrangy Cutting to (turn on Intensifier) Wooly Booger.

Very quickly I was able to dial the Compressor to remove my aggresive sharp peaking attacks from the signal. You have the choice of the compressor being before or after the EQ section. At my first try I liked it before the EQ. I was able to goose my signal without clipping the Power Amp with hard peaks. Very nice to finally have this because of my aggressive playing style. Since I am using a Fender 50's reissue P Bass it is very easy to get clackity clack sounds which are unwanted. With the overall Tonal Response of the Preamp and the use of the Compressor I have deleted these unwanted sounds.

The Preamp is very quiette with no hiss at all. My Ampeg SVT3PRO had a lot of hiss even with the tweeter turned all the way down in the cab.

The Yamaha Power Amp so far is impressing me. I A/Bed it with my QSC RMX 850. I ran the QSC bridged mono at 4 ohms/830 watts into the SWR Cab and was getting clipping realy quick compared to the Yamaha. The Yamaha seemed to be louder, only running one side of the Amp at 4 ohms/750 watts, not using side B of the amp.

This is based on preleminary playing. I will delve further into to it as I have time to play more.
    I am tickled, I am am getting all the the Loudness I needed and Low End Tighness I wanted while maintaning the Tones I'm after.

I was using the Ampeg SVT3PRO Head into an Ampeg SVT 4X10 HLF, lining out ot a QSC RMX 850, into a DBX 15 Band GEQ, into the Mesa Boogie Powerhouse 4x10.

I went from that setupt to the SWR Preamp, Yamaha Power Amp, and SWR 4X10 Cab. Quite a big difference in weght and amount of gear while still keeping the arse I need for my Playing Style.

Load in/out time will be greatly reduced. My back is thanking me allready.

SWRBassRig_1371.

SWRBassRig_1370.

2. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    Sweet, congrats.

3. Nice just need a SWR Big Red 18" To go with that :p

4. Psychicpet

Psychicpet Guest

Mar 13, 2004
    Friend and Endorsee of Larry
    The Marcus!!!! man, I've been jonesin' for one of those since I heard it was coming out........ can't wait to test one out, hopefully.

and congrats on the rig!

:bassist:

5. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    SHWEEEEEEEEEET! :cool:

6. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    I am also glad to hear your success with the Yamaha P5000S Power Amp. I was very impressed with the fully adjustable crossover on both channels. That could be a huge help if you decide to get a Big Ben and biamp.

7. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Thanx Guys!

So far I am really impressed with all these pieces.

The SWR Preamp gives massive amounts of Control ove the Signal, yet is simple enough to use without difficulty.

The Yamaha Power Amp is doing the job in spades.

The SWR Cab is squeazung a lot of sound/tone/bottom out of a small package.

I had ordered the Preamp and Speaker Cab and on the day I went to pick up, they had had a shipment arrive of these Power Amps. I never had even seen one but the Price, Specs, and Weight footed the bill so I thought I would give it a try.

I will report back more later - Going back down to my Studio to Play some more right now!

:bassist::bassist::bassist::hyper::hyper::hyper::bassist::bassist::bassist:

8. Wow!
    That is a very sharp looking rig. Nicely Done!!!
    When I was younger, Yamaha was always a good name in audio equipment. Are they still there own company, or have they been gobbled up by a bigger corporation?

9. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta

Dont know for sure but I doubt Yamaha has been bought out by anyone.

Yamaha is huge.

They are into everything from Pianos to Guitars, PA, Recording, Band Instruments, Motorcycles, Kitchen Ware, Resorts, Golf Clubs, etc..................

Thanx for the nice comments.

Just came up for air.

I am realy excited about my new rig and am very fortunate.

10. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Other nice things about the Preamp = The Footswitch!

The footswitch allows for switching on/off the Bass Intensifier Circuit, the Boost Control (with it's additional Compressor Level Control), the Parametric EQ, and the FX Loop.

Other nice things about the Cab = Power to Size/Weight Ratio.

Like I said before the Cab is way smaller, lighter, and easier to handle although it has higher power handling over my other two Cabs.

The Ampeg Cab is rated at 500 watts, the Boogie Cabs is rated at 600 watts, and the SWR Cab is rated at 800 watts. Wow!

I can not get over how much smaller a rig this is and how it is able to get Louder than my other rig. Yes let me say that again, Louder!

My ohter rig was pushing 1280 watts into eight 10's. Using this rig (with the 750 watt side of the Power Amp) my whole house is rattling. With less wattage (but a beafier amp) and four 10's rather than eight 10's I knocked a large heavy candle off our master bath (upstairs) counter top and shattered it. It took me 30 minutes to get all the broken glass up.

Anyway I'm exhausted from all this Bass Playing. Got to get to bed.

11. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta

Hmmm Big Ben huh. My little wheels are turning. Too baD there isnt a 4 ohm version.

How bout a Big Ben with a Son of Bertha on top of it?

or two Son of Bertha's with two Goliaths?

or two Big Bens with two Goliaths?

or four Goliaths?

Oh my the possibilities are endless.

Can you imagine me running four 4 ohm Goliath 4x10 Cabs at 1300 watts per side, running the amp at 2 ohms per side?

That would just be over kill.

I definately want to run another cab, just dont know what Cab. Probably the best option is another 4 ohm Goliath, with this amp anyway. That way I could get 750 per side. If I run an 8 ohm cab on the other side, not gonna get that much juice though I do suppose two 8 ohm cabs on side B would get me back up there.

How bout it then two Son of Bertha Cabs on side B?

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'd get another Goliath. I've done the mismatched cabs thing and liked it OK, but after reading up on the stuff Bill FM talks about on here and trying a lot of it, I'm totally convinced he's right about everything, and he recommends matching cabs and drivers unless you do a PA speaker setup that's crossed over and all that. That's not a bad idea either with all that power. A lot of guys are using subs onstage. Justin MJ, and the dude from Radiohead to name a couple. But since you already have the Goliath, I think a second Goliath would rock twice as hard. Nice cabs, those Goliaths.

13. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    The Big Ben is the piece of gear I regret most selling. I regret pretty much all of my sales from time to time, but Had I to repurchase just one, it would be the Big Ben for sure.

14. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Dont know what I'll end up doing for another cab. Just not sure what or how to go about finding what would be best.

On another note I usually dont use FX much but thought I'd try out my Art Multiverb III since the M2 has a really cool FX Loop with Blend Control and Footswitchable.

Anyway it sounds really nice. The Art can be a bit Noisy but in the SWR it is quietter than normal. This dang Preamp is very high quality. I may leave my FX unit in the rack since it's quietter, now foot switchable, and sounds really good with the M2. Will post so more Pics but cant seem to get Photobucket (it may be down?).

I have played so much my Wife is mad and my fingers are about to fall off. :hyper::D:bassist:

15. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Yeah your right another Goliath would make it balanced ohms and driver wise.

I really am liking this Goliath Cab better than any cab I've ever had. It is tight. Didnt get much of a chance to play anymore today (getting too many screwy looks from my Wifey Pooh):D.

Cany wait to get this rig out to a Gig.

Our next gig isnt till Nov 21 at Motorhead's. I'll be glad when I get to take her for a spin. Hopefully will at least have rehersal soon. :hyper::hyper:

16. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    Do you think an SWR 8x10 would offer the same performance?

17. Paolo74

Paolo74

Nov 5, 2006
    You have a cool staff :eek:....uhmm... I dislike you :spit:
    Can you post some image of the footswich? I haven't see it.

Bye
    Paolo

18. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Picture of footswitch coming right up.

SWRBassRig_1379.

Picture of Amp with Bass.

SWRBassRig_1383.

SWRBassRig_1381.

SWRBassRig_1378.

Picture of Bass rig with Art Multiverb installed.

SWRBassRig_1384.

19. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I can understand how you'd want to see the footswitch. I know I searched for info on it before I got mine and came up with nill.

The Footswitch is a handy dandy part of this rig, it allows for a number of different Tones/Sounds/ Volumes/ at the push of a button.

Mr. Kreuzsclitz as far as an 8x10's go I suppose two 4x10's would compete with an 8x10 and vise versa. I am not familiar with an SWR 8x10 though. A traditional sealed 8x10 IMO has a totally different tonal character than a vented 8x10. Not sure if the Megoliath is sealed or vented (will look see).

20. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    I had a chance to get an SWR Megoliath 8x10 for $400. I didn't have the money, but I'm still beating myself up for it.