Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New SX bass Lets talk about specific upgrades

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassMan99, Mar 15, 2006.

1. BassMan99

BassMan99

Mar 15, 2006
    Rochester
    Hi All, I bought an SX SJB-62 4+1 recently based on positive comments on this board. I just registered today.
    I am an experienced player that like low cost gear.
    I am quite happy with the SX 5 string. I have had it 3 weeks. PLayed one gig with it and about 4 rehearsals. All I have done is set it up and replace strings with d'addario pro steels. Tweeked the nut a little.
    My initial feelings are. A good buy. A bit heavy. A little neck heavy. Pickups sound very good- no hum even soloing a pup-- are these noiseless? Tuners are OK. Neck appears to have some kind of reinforcement bars. Probably why its neck heavy. Bridge is maybe a bit below average. The screws on the B string saddle are bent or the saddle itself is drilled poorly.
    I would like to talk about SPECIFIC upgrades. The only thing I would do at this time is replace the bridge. What specific brand/model bridge have you all been using?
    Second upgrade might be the tuners. They tune fine but maybe I can help the neck dive with lighter ones. Again what specific tuners have you guys tried?
    Thank you all in advance. This is a vey informative forum and I hope to contribute in the future.

2. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    for the bridge, ive heard almost everyone say the BADASS bridge, im pretty sure they make 5er version.

as for tuners, if you have the money-you could always get some ultra lites(for the neck heaviness). and maybe a hipshot D-tuner

3. BassMan99

BassMan99

Mar 15, 2006
    Rochester
    I have put BAII's on a couple fender P bass's. I like them. The five costs like $90. Thats about 70% of the cost of the whole bass. But it might be worth it.
    Anyone using the BAII V with an SX jazz?

4. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    new nut helps alot.

5. BassMan99

BassMan99

Mar 15, 2006
    Rochester
    yeah the nut was cut poorly. I was able to clean it up some. Do you think replacing it helped the sound or the action? Curious what material you used and if you did it yourself

6. pacojastorius

pacojastorius Guest

May 21, 2005
    usa
    here's an upgrade, buy a saw and use it to cut the bass up into small enough pieces to pop in the bin, then go out and by a real bass like a Fender, Sadowsky etc.

7. Fong249

Fong249

May 25, 2005
    Washington, DC
    Here's a thought, not all people can afford a sadowsky or a fender, and why would they pay 400 for a bass when they can get a copy of it that sounds better (imho) for 1/4th the price. Lets take the pretentiousness elsewhere.

Bridge, nut, NEW POTS. NEW POTS. I say it twice cus its essential. you may want to get some new wire too. The sx wires funky, but okay. Copper shielding, a must. get rid of microphonics and noise in the control cavity. Make sure proper grounds are formed, especially the bridge grounds. Other than that.... Cosmetic stuff? New nobs for certain, new pick guard (SX tort pickguards arent very tort) or something like that. Toy with it. My SX screams and all i've changed are the pots and jack. Oh yeah, get a switchcraft jack.

8. BassMan99

BassMan99

Mar 15, 2006
    Rochester
    ouch. Well I have three fenders that I like. All four string. I dont think this bass is not a real instrument. I think its pretty comparable to a fender MIM 5. I have tried a few of those and they are also neck heavy. And the pickups didnt sound as good. Better resale value though. I do agree that buying one of these and spending alot of money upgrading is sort of silly. You end of with an expensive chinese bass. But adding just one or two reasonable upgrades to make the bass nicer to use should be worthwhile.

9. BassMan99

BassMan99

Mar 15, 2006
    Rochester
    I am curious why the pots must be changed. So far these are quiet and work fine. the tome control works as it should. I dont se how new pots could affect tone. 250k ohms is 250k ohms right?
    I did look at the working and its looks OK. Its not the cheapest wire I haev seen ( I have seen squires with thread like wore) and the wiring job and solderin gis neat.

10. chilliwilli

chilliwilli

Aug 17, 2005
    if you really want to try and make into a serious bass you could maybe get new pickups or a new preamp.

11. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Oh come on, with stupid remarks like that people are gonna think you're a complete a-hole. Personally, I have several Fenders, four Rickenbackers, and plenty of other nice basses....and yesterday I ordered an SX Jazz.

12. BassMan99

BassMan99

Mar 15, 2006
    Rochester
    any other bridge info? I would rather not spend the $$ for a badass V if there is something clsoe for less.

> I think the pups are really pretty good. At least as good as a MIM fender 5.

13. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    "here's an upgrade, buy a saw and use it to cut the bass up into small enough pieces to pop in the bin, then go out and by a real bass like a Fender, Sadowsky etc."

Ouch :rolleyes:

14. Fong249

Fong249

May 25, 2005
    Washington, DC
    The SX pots are okay. But we're trying to make the bass extraordinary right? My tone pot was fuzzy, and made a crackling noise when turned. I figured, what the heck, Might aswell throw on new volume pots as well, they'll be more reliable etc. Anyway, it opened up my tone, and made it a lot easier to dial in that 30/70 tone that i look for (30% neck, 70% bridge)

15. That, children, is what we call SPAM.

Ironically, most of the people on here are older than me.

But anyway, Bassman, lemme know if you do any upgrades and how they turn out. I'm greatly considering getting the same bass (although not five string) to replace my Squier.

16. bassksun

bassksun Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    On a more serious note...

No. Not a big enough diff to warrant the amount of work I put into cutting a bone nut.
    I upgraded my bridge with a Custom Shop one from another TBer. A BA is overkill IMO.
    There are few places where you can get a decent bridge for around $25. Ebay is your friend on this one. I went over the top a little on my mods...because I wanted to.

Welcome. Ignore the Ass-Trolls

Peace

17. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Yet another useless post from you.

BassMan99, I suggest you get a 4"-wide strap, so the bass balances better and you feel less the neck dive.

For tuners, I would go Hipshot ultra lights (www.hipshotproducts.com) They might cost about the same that you paid for the whole bass, but they are the lightets.

18. BassMan99

BassMan99

Mar 15, 2006
    Rochester
    Thanks for the positive responses. I have seen a few bridges on ebay. Not sure if they are better, or will fit.
    The real problem with the bridge is getting the low B string intonation on with thw 130 gauge string I put on. The saddke needs to be so far back that its really tight and a very steep angle. I like BAII bridges. I Am one who believes they do change the sound noticeably and I like how you can set the string spacing.

I came up with a way to help the neck dive a little. I put a strap lock on the horn of the bass. The kind that sticks out some, and just screwed the starp in at the bottom. Just extending the horn out that small amount did help some.

I took off the pickguard to take a better look at the pickups ( I am very happy with how they sound) and found that they are at least as deep as a fender jazz maybe more.
    And instead of using foam or some material to float the pickups they use springs. Nice.

19. BassMan99

BassMan99

Mar 15, 2006
    Rochester
    On the pickups I get zero hum. On my practice amp at home. My big rig at rehearsal. And my smaller gigging amp. Even at the one gig I did with it zero hum or buzz- even when soloing a pickup. You guys might think I am crazy but thats why I was looking at pickups closer, to see if it could be a noiseless. Its the quietest single coil I have ever played. I checked the cavity under the control panel, there is no shielding that I can see.

20. bassksun

bassksun Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    I had to drill new holes. Better...I dunno...I didn't like the bridge. Seemed flimsy and did not contribute enough sustain. Strings and bridge is all I needed to upgrade. The rest was my idea of fun. Alot of this is covered in the Megathread.

I use a 4" strap. Good suggestion.

Peace