1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New SX on the way

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by insomniac2295, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Just placed an order on this baby earlier today. Should be here sometime this coming week.

http://www.rondomusic.com/product744.html

One thing I'm definitly going to do to this is add flush-mount Dunlop strap locks and paint the pickup covers white to match the white pickguard(it doesn't come with the one in the picture).

I'm also hinking of turning it into a "Fender" SX bass. What do you think?
    If I were to do that, I'd-
    *Add the Fender '70's Jazz bass logo(like on the Geddy Lee bass)
    *Add a Fender neck plate

and possibly upgrade the tuning machines, bridge, nut, etc.

Do you think it would be right to put the Fender logo on it?

2. are you ashamed of the sx or something?

btw
    im thinking of ordering one my self
    can you give me a vivid description of the quality of it when it arrives?

thanks

3. Welllll not exactly. I just think it'd be sweet to make it look like I own an expensive Fender that was never produced (they didn't make 5 string jazz'es in the 70's!).

Sure thing man. I'll just update this thread when I get it so stay subscribed or something. The only SX I've ever played was a crazy double necked bass. The necks had 5 strings each, one was fretted and the other was fretless, finished in placid blue. The fretless side played like a dream but the fretted side didn't. All it needed was a good setup though. I can't explain how much I enjoyed playing the fretless side though! My hopes are really set high for this bass!

4. That's a nice looking bass, I hope you get a good one. :)

Just sand off the pointy part and logo and make it look similar to a tele neck....let people wonder.

5. arjune

arjune

Oct 8, 2006
    SF, CA
    Don't put the Fender logo if it's not a Fender bass.

Make your own logo or something, if you really don't want the SX one.

6. I dunno it's kinda tempting. Me getting the logo is just a couple of clicks and a few short business days away. Plus, why wouldn't I want the bass more aesthetically pleasing to me? I know that in some sense it's wrong because it would be a false representation of the instrument. But I'm not too worried about that.

7. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    Except for the fact that the head stocks are different, and just about anyone who sees it and knows what a Fender headstock looks like will think it's lame.

8. dls59

dls59 Supporting Member

I just received my new 5 string SX jazz (like yours, only sunburst, with black pickguard) yesterday. I'm pleasantly surprised, though I really shouldn't be. It's my second SX (first new), and my 57P is almost not an SX anymore, with all the aftermarket (see my avatar). While I'll make a few mods, just to arrive at my own specification, the new bass could be left stock and be a very servicable bass.

I have not found any aesthetic problems. Strings were what I expected - not so good. I put on a set of LaBella flats last night and the playability was improved significantly. I haven't set it up yet, but it came in with the action not as high and crappy as I expected. I think maybe a minor tweak of the truss rod and saddles and it'll be good to go. Frets are pretty good.

Both my amps are at the studio, so I haven't played it amplified yet, but it has a nice solid acoustic feel.

While I so not have large hands, I've always played 19mm spacing. But I'm not going to have much problem with the tight spacing. Fingerstlye, I'm having to adjust, but with a pick, it actually helps. Noticably easier for me to pick the tight spacing than the 19mm with accuracy.

9. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    That is just down right lame! (and illegal)

What, you feel people will look down at you because you play a SX. I have to be honest, I have no respect for people that do that.

Now I have allot of respect for people who get creative and make their own logo....that's cool. But putting a Fender logo on a SX....come on! Might as well go all the way....make it a Sadowsky logo!

10. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Put the Fender logo on and reshape the headstock so it looks genuine. Both the SX logo and head shape are disgusting.

11. topcat2069

topcat2069

Dec 2, 2007
    Palm Springs
    I kinda think that being a slamin’ Bass player on an “inexpensive” instrument is so much cooler that trying to make it look like it’s something that it’s not. Upgrade away, make it play the way you want, but…. A decal won’t help the action one bit, leave it an SX and play it proud and well…..:bassist:

12. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    +1

13. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Nice pick.

- Those basses have Great necks, IMHO.

- Check out the tuners carefully before changing them. You might
    find them fine.

- Get yourself a very wide strap. :) That bass is gonna feel
    a little heavy.

- Mail Kurt and add to the petition to stamp out white pickguards in our lifetime.
    That bass Begs for a black pickguard. :)

14. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    These basses are fine the way they are. Upgrade pickups and tuners only if needed. A Fender logo would look cheesy IMO.

15. I wouldn't buy an SX bass guitar mainly because the neck is cheap and having a cheap neck with 5 strings will make it extra crappy, but it looks nice :)

16. +1

17. BobWestbrook

BobWestbrook Mr.

Mar 13, 2006
    Philly suburb
    I have an SX fiver which is my go-to bass, but I've been looking at the one you ordered because of different sound of the maple fretboard.

18. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Not sure what you mean by cheap in that context, but, the SX necks are very good. If you score one with clean frets, it's as good a neck as any on all the sub $750 basses on the planet.

19. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    poser :spit:

20. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    Don't do the Fender logo...

However, if you want to make a SX Frankenfender the best way is to change the Pups, the bridge, the tuners and all the electronic wiring and pots etc...then you will have a Fender inside and an SX outside.

I am slowly, eventually doing that to this bass -
    [​IMG]
    So far the Bridge and Tuners have been changed from stock. The neck too, but it is not a Fender neck.

I am going for all the stuff that is inside and on the Fender Geddy Lee Bass, but I will not put on a Fender Logo or Fender neckplate.

Too dodgy for my taste.