Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New TalkBass Servers

Discussion in 'TalkBass.com News & Announcements' started by paul, Jun 25, 2005.

1. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Welcome to the new TalkBass Webserver :) TB.com was moved to it's new home today. For those tech-heads out there the new setup is a dual server config:

Frontend:
    P4 3ghz
    2G Ram
    2x 36Gig SCSI HD's Raid 1
    200Gig IDE backup HD

Backend (database):
    Dual Opteron 244's
    4G Ram
    2x 36Gig SCSI 15k rpm drives in Raid 1

Please be patient as I continue to finalize the migration, rebuild the search index (searches are currently disabled), and optimize the server config files. Thanks :)

2. lhoward

lhoward

Apr 27, 2003
    Western NY State

First, I'd just like to thank you for a great service to bassists. As a recently retired IT type (network/server design and consulting), I have an idea what it takes for you to support this service. Great job and I'm glad to see you using Raid 1. Although not stated, if you're using separate SCSI cards (duplexing), then you know you get faster response for queries since concurrent reads are supported. Raid 5, although many times the config of choice for most installs, does not always yield the shortest response times under high loads.

I don't do alot of posts since I usually prefer to listen more than talk. But in this case I just thought I should let you know your efforts are very much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Lloyd Howard