1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Tascam Bass Trainer MP-BT1 (MP3)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by chuckee, Aug 18, 2007.

1. chuckee

chuckee

Jun 9, 2005
    Norfolk, VA
    Howdy TB'ers,

I use the CD-BT1mkll CD Bass Trainer (successfully:hyper: ) for learning bass lines with its slow down and loop features. (Yes, I am very careful not to drop it or to break its fragile door!!). MF has them on sale in its August catalog, page 31.

On the same page, MF is listing the newer MP-BT1 Portable MP3 Bass Trainer. Does anyone have any experience in testing/using the MP-BT1???

Is Tascam phasing out sales of the CD-BT1mkll???

Feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,

Chuckee :bassist:

2. Michael Vee

Michael Vee Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I was asked this same question last week while I still had my Tascam CD-BT1 for sale here on TB.

I checked with a number of sales reps who all said that at least for the near future, Tascam will continue to make and offer the CD Bass Trainer, although it will be discounted quite a bit as the MP3 version makes its appearance.

In some respects, the CD version is more useful, because you have to load up the MP3 trainer from a computer, where with the CD version, someone can simply hand you a CD and you're off and running.

I sold mine because I was simply not using it that much to justify keeping it around. For someone who's in an active gigging mode and playing a lot of covers, the Bass Trainer would be a great tool to have around.

3. chuckee

chuckee

Jun 9, 2005
    Norfolk, VA
    MV,

Thanks for the rapid response and the insight on the relative ease of using of the CD version vs the need to upload the MP3. The MP3 version, with its built-in rechargeable battery, does sounds tempting.

I plan to buy the CD Guitar Trainer (with power supply) for a friend who is a beginner guitar player.

Chuckee:bassist:

4. lonegroover

lonegroover

Jul 16, 2006
    Depends on how you use the trainer really I suppose.

The new mp3 version is around 1/5 of the size, slightly larger than my mobile phone. Although you do have to load up the tracks via your pc, this is only a question of dropping and dragging.

the best bits for me are:
    1. No need to fanny about changing Cds etc, just scroll through all the songs which a re stored onboard in alphabetical order
    2. The bass "enhance" and "boost" settings have 3 different frequency levels you can adjust so you can fine tune the effect.

I've got 55 tracks loaded and am using 15% of the storage on this beauty.

5. Is the MP-bt1 still working good?

6. I want to pull the trigger on this, but I still have my concerns on this. One being the dependancy on a computer. This also relates to the songs being in the right format (maybe an issue if you have songs on itunes). Im interested, but Im gonna need some more reviews.

7. tanslacks

tanslacks Supporting Member

I would be leary of the mp3 player if you use itunes. You may not be able to load any of the songs, which would negate the slowing down of the tune or removing the bass.

8. Im missing something... Whats the problem with itunes? Are you talking about if you had your songs compressed as AAC as opposed to MP3? My undertsanding would be that an itunes MP3 would be like any other MP3 wouldn't it?

9. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    will the CD version take CD-R's?

10. avid

avid born lefty

Jun 22, 2005
    Ashland, Oregon USA
    iTunes can make MP3s by going to preferences-->Advanced--> Importing options and choosing MP3. It looks like you can convert from ACC to MP3 as well. The MP-BT1 is compatible with OS X 10.2 and later.

11. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

I use the MP-BT1 with iTunes without a problem. So no worries there.

12. avid

avid born lefty

Jun 22, 2005
    Ashland, Oregon USA
    Called the local GC yesterday and asked if they had them in stock. I was told they did. Went in to buy one today and the same guy said I may have given you bad information yesterday because we only the g$#@%& model. Did I want to special order? No thanks, I'll buy it on line.

Not a great way to win business. After waiting six weeks for a set of strings I expected the next week I see no reason to walk through those doors anytime soon.:mad:

13. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    anyone?

14. I have the older CD version, and it does take CD-R's. I'll usually put the various tunes I'm working on onto 1 CD, and make a compilation disk. Works great.

15. twangchief

twangchief Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Altoona, PA
    Does the MP-BT1 work with Windows licensing? I have Napster.

16. kevinmoore73

kevinmoore73 Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I corrected your post in all caps. Normal non-DRM files will work just fine.

17. asiansin

asiansin

Jul 18, 2007
    I'm seriously considering the MP-BT1, but have heard some issues with it freezing, glitches, etc. I know no product is perfect, but is this a real issue?

18. avid

avid born lefty

Jun 22, 2005
    Ashland, Oregon USA
    Just getting mine charged up. Mated up just fine with my Mac. I will report back when I have more information. Seems if there would be issues they could give you a new version of software to correct the problems. BWDIK

19. Steelpulz

Steelpulz

Nov 4, 2003
    Inglewood, CA

Itunes is not really an issue. I convert all of my itune files to mp3s.

20. Steelpulz

Steelpulz

Nov 4, 2003
    Inglewood, CA
    Yes, and cdrws