New TB Gear Review Database: Review your bass :)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by paul, Mar 11, 2004.

1. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    I just finished up setting up a new review database, which improves on our old archive in many ways (photo uploads, improved layout, total forum integration, among others). I believe this will be a great asset to the TB community, and will be an invaluable resource for those looking for opinions on gear.

Unfortunately I'm not sure if I'll be able to port our old reviews into the new database... So, if you have a second, please help build it up by posting a review of your bass(es), or other equipment, CD's etc.

As this is a new project there are probably some bugs, so let me know if you notice any ;)

Here's a direct link:

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Paul, are our old reviews available somewhere online? I could just copy mine into an editor, make a few updates, and post it in the new Forum.
  3. paul

Jul 20, 2000
    Yes - there's a link to the old review archive at the top of the new one. Here's a direct link to the old:
  4. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

I posted a couple to get started (it will take me time to get reviews up for everything I feel comfortable reviewing). One is in a "pending" state.

One thing I noticed is that when I uploaded pictures for the 2 basses was that the image names needed to be unique. I had the same image name (angle.jpg) for the two basses in two different local directories. When I uploaded the second one it overwrote the original. So I ended up copying it to a different name and uploading that instead. A warning that the name already exists might be useful to avoid trampling something already uploaded.
  5. paul

Jul 20, 2000
    Ahh, thanks for the input. Great comprehensive reviews - look forward to more from you :)
  6. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    This may be something I should direct to the suggestion box, and for all I know it's an issue that's been addressed, but at the risk of all that, I'll add...

I posted a gear review previously, but the system/form asked for my real name rather than my TB username. I supplied my real name and included my username in parentheses, as next to no one would recognize me by my real name. The parenthetical username got deleted and I was left with a review that few would associate with ye old secretdonkey. It would be nice to allow both pieces of identity to be displayed...

7. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    I felt like I had to chime in and say something because all of my Texas brethren are representin' as well.....:D:D

....and to say that I'll try and do a review of some of my (not-so-great) gear one of these days :D
  8. paul

Jul 20, 2000
    That old review archive will be phased out soon - it did have bugs and wasn't a very good system. The new reviews section is totally forum integrated so your username/profile are associated with your posts just like any forum post.
  9. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL

I took a few minutes and posted a review on my main bass. The new setup you created worked really well. I didn't have any problems and the layout looks very nice. Great work, thanks!!