new TBer - love the G&L L-2500

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mostho, Aug 26, 2002.

1. mostho

Aug 23, 2002
    Hi. I'm new in TB and after some time I decided to register here cos I found many useful info. thanks to all the people here.

I have right now my new Bass: L-2500 that i read many people here loves at all.
    My first impression: huge sound, butter neck and simply solid as a rock. Thanks G&L. :))

But a small question: is it right that my bass is not enough quieter for recording studio? I read that many people has the problem for some it true? On wednesday I have to go in studio for the first time with my new bass and i need a good samaritan who help me in this question. And, of course, the countermeasure to do for....

:) :)

By the way, this is a great bass and since my Tobias Killer B 5 was stolen i cannot find more tone, feel and sound for that price.

2. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002 room...
    welcome to talkbass first and foremost =D
    Well im looking to buy a G&L at the end of next summer :D
    Ive played a few and i must say i dig em' alot!
    If you have any noise on your bass though.. anything unwanted they can get it out with a noise supressor,or a hiss eliminator. If you want you can purchase one though. Boss makes a really nice noise supressor. Rocktron has a noise eliminator.
    Good luck with the studio situation
  3. Welcome to TB!
    The L-2500's a great bass. Some G&Ls are a bit noisy but all you need to do for super quiet operation is get some sheilding paint (any electronics store would have it) and paint the inside of the control cavity with it. Works great. I don't understand why they don't do it at the factory, though....
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Besides painting the inside of the control cavity, he would also need to cover the inside of the cavity cover with aluminum or copper foil, wouldn't he?
  5. You could do that or you could just paint the inside of the cover with the sheilding paint.
  6. mostho

Aug 23, 2002
    but for better painting i've to do this by detaching all the electronic parts... or maybe it's enough to paint all the wood free of electronics in the rear cavity?
    I think is better the first choice but maybe is enough to shield only with copper foil. Someone told me that in this manner the things are reversible... This is for general rule and maybe is useful for many other bass players..

Thanks alot anyway and thanks for the welcome!!

:) :) :)
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Copper foil is actually better, but requires more work than shielding paint. You will definitely need to remove all of the electronics from the cavity to use copper foil. And remember to solder each piece together. Just overlapping and touching is not enough to be sure of good shielding.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong?
  8. mostho

Aug 23, 2002
    wow. how great infos... i've to decide now. i'm suffering to decide how is painful to shield my brand new bass.. it's like a new toy (LOL) and i'm afraid for disassembly...

thanks dudes
  9. mostho

Aug 23, 2002
    sorry. Please help me. How is the name of the color of my bass? Black sunburst?

Cos i didn't find a similar spec to gl site...

10. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    looks like tobacco burst
  11. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    no doubt - nice looking bass too

mostho, you may want to seek out a professional to do that shielding job for you - the L-series control cavity is a challenging proposition for shielding IMO - and get the pro to guarantee the work, so you know you are covered

I don't think you want to mess with your new bass, the G&L control cavity is rough