Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New TB'ers

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by caesarbass, Feb 17, 2005.

1. I'm new to TB and to forums in general. It seems that the people that have been posting here for a while get very impatient and irritated when a new TB'er hits on a topic that has been talked about again and again. I know that this is only my opinion, and it's really difficult to "read emotions," so maybe I'm reading into it incorrectly. I've posted topics that are old and a moderator, or veteran TB'er, has been very nice and suggested doing a search, but I've read some where people are just rude. It would be nice to encourage people to keep posting, and even if it's been posted to death, maybe it's new to some people. Just a thought. :cool:

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The general consensus about the "do a search" thing is typically how recent the topic is. If there's been several threads in the few days/week about, say, MIM vs. MIA, then you're more likely to get the "Do a search" thing than if it hasn't come up in a month.

That, and we do have some FAQ stickied, and that's where a bit attitude might come from. If there's a FAQ stickied, you'll probably get much more curt responses.

3. I thought that aswell, some people do get quite rude, but overall this is one of the best forums I have been on. Plus sometimes being a little more persistant about people doing a search on certain topics is needed. Tho you are right, new users more then likely don't realize how to/ don't know about searching for topics.

4. (echoing Brandon) I think a lot of the frustration lies in the fact that every forum has some kind of "sticky" covering answers to commonly asked questions or general posting etiquette...including the request to use the search function before you post.

I hope this doesn't come across as rude, it surely is not meant to, but I thought I'd add my 2 cents.

Mike

5. No worries guys. Everytime I'm on this forum I learn something new about gear, technique, or ways to use this forum. I wish I would have known about it sooner. I've also been noticing the stickies more and more, I guess it takes a few times on a forum to get your bearings straight, and know where to look for things. Thanks. :bassist: :bassist:

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Y'know, my name is right there, Mike. It's not like it's several pages back or anything. (Peeve, as much of TB knows.)

7. Fair enough. My apologies, although in this case, I apparently wouldn't qualify as much of TB. Keeping it on topic....perhaps there should be a sticky (just kidding).

Mike

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I don't see why it would be "nice" at all! :mad:

There are more posts around here, than anyone can really read or keep up with - we don't need to encourage people to post more rubbish and especially duplicate rubbish - it just makes it harder to find the genuinely interesting posts/subjects...:meh:

9. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Don't let us discourage you. :)

And, welcome to TB. This is a great resource!

As with all such resources, there's probably a little research to be done, in terms of how people operate up here.

No problem, anything new has a "learning curve", and possibly some "growing pains" associated with it.

TB really is a wonderful resource though. If you learn how to use the "search" effectively, it'll enhance your experience.

Meanwhile, the world is at your fingertips. Literally. :D

10. Generally people may be gruff about a "Do a Search." When people get rude it's usually because "XXXBASSPLAYER IS THE SHIZNIT ALL OTH3R BASSPLAYER SUX0RS."

Like my 7th grade math teacher said:

"Garbage In= Garbage Out"

11. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    Bardon is right.............. :D

overall i think people are willing to answer a question for the millionth time, with a friendly reminder to "use the search". Once you get the hang of the search quirks, you can get stuck reading stuff for hours - :eek:

12. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    I know it can seem kind of rude sometimes, but really, it is necessary. It isnt people that are too annoyed with that topic to post an answer. If that were the case, they just wouldnt reply. It's people trying to keep talkbass from being like every other forum out there. Repitive threads would, in time, make this forum weaker. I for one know I would come here FAR less often than i do if every thread was "d00d, wuts tha dif for Amrican and Mhxi Jazz Base? :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: " And I'm sure that other, members far more intelligent and worthwhile than myself would stop coming as often as well. Seriously, who is interested in doing nothing but answering the same four questions again and again and again? And with these members showing up less, the collective that is TalkBass would diminish in its ability to effectively provide the wealth of knowledge contained within. We would effectively become a useless webpage where half the people come to ask questions no one will ever answer, and the other half come to ridicule eachother's opinions. It is this sort of thing that causes the downfall of so many other forums, and what makes TalkBass not just a forum, but a Community. Now, I know that I have been guilty of not searching enough myself, as have many people who, in the moment of excitement, posted before searching. And I am not saying you should dig through every facet of every thread to discover your answer, before you attempt to ask it. But it doesnt hurt to type some relevant keywords in, just to see what pops up. If you dont immediately see anything that answers your question, then chances are, people here would love to hear your query, and would be more then happy to help. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the search function defends the core of what TalkBass is. It alone has the power to keep this place from descending into madness.