1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

new TC K-Series bass cabs...what on earth?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by synterx, Jan 21, 2015.

1. synterx

synterx

Jan 24, 2005
    Illinois
    Have you seen these things yet? Yikes! You can't say they don't try to design something different than everyone else. I really don't like the red stripe. Just not necessary to my graphic designer eyes.

But still, I was hoping they'd update the RH heads or do something with the higher end bass line.

2. synterx

synterx

Jan 24, 2005
    Illinois
    After looking at the short Nathan East video of the 410 on top of the 212, I already am warming up to the style a bit. The tweeter in the cutout of that center piece is a fresh design.

I'm more a fan of metal grills, but I might very well grab a 212 when they come out.

I'm curious about price. They say "premium" all over, so I'm guessing these are going to be a step higher than the RS cabs.

3. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
  4. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    well maybe I'm just utterly without taste, but I think they look pretty cool! Of course, the sound is far more important, but it seems that TC tends to make well-respected cabinets. I know some folks have put up a fuss about wattage on some of their newer and larger heads, but I have a BH250 as a back-up/small practice head, and it's great.

I'd trust in the quality of these cabs based on their previous output alone, although I'd be curious how these are priced

Robroy likes this.
  5. I was hoping for more power handling from the 210 and 212, 400w. Most middleweight heads are batting 500.

6. Especially impressed with their 'unique' vertical stacking concept. Glad to see that somebody finally thought of this...

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  7. Not like TC's amps put out that kind of power at 8 Ohms....

And its not like there are a lot of full range drivers that can really handle that power either.

8. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Apparently it's an entirely new concept born out of their bass development department. ;)

bassjnky1, jumblemind and KickingBass like this.
  9. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    These must be cheaper?
    Tolex
    They have a rear panel that comes off to access the internals.
    Why put extra wood thing on the front, tweeter down a tunnel, less dispersion.
    Absolutely no specs or measurements. And I don't mean 10 inches, 12 inches those are useless measurements.
    Form follow fashions?
    Looks like just about every cabinet introduction one could expect.

StayLow and B-string like this.
  10. Buzz E

Buzz E Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2014
    San Francisco, CA
    I like the look!

11. synterx

synterx

Jan 24, 2005
    Illinois
    $335 euro, or $537 US for the 212, via a store in the UK.

These are pretty polarizing in the looks department. Reminds me of the Nuno Bettencourt guitar amps and cabs. They have their own completely unique design compared to everyone else. I wish TC would spend some time and effort on their accessories. Like, matching red rack ears for the BH amps, super-premium quality carrying cases for them too, hard shell and softshell, and thick custom padded covers for the cabs. These are the little details that make sense to me.

Moosehead1966 likes this.
  12. 400 watts for an 8 ohm cabinet is just fine. Many amps aren't putting out that much at 8 ohms anyway.
    I have the BC212 which is only rated at 250 watts and I'm not worried about it since I don't plan on using a head with more power than 500 watts at 4 ohms.

I like the look of these new cabs but since I just got the BC212 a week ago I won't be getting one any time soon.

13. wmhill

wmhill

Aug 20, 2012
    upstate NY
    MTD basses endorsed artist Bartolini pickups emerging artist TECAMP bass players gear endorsed
    I don't hate em- kinda jetsons VS battlestart galactica.

14. INTP

INTP

Nov 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    The racing stripes make them go faster.

More seriously, the "grill" is retro 1940's and the racing stripes remind me of a 1960's roadster.

punchclock likes this.
  15. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    They're different! I like them better than the RS cabs because they have feet on them.

droskobass likes this.
  16. synterx

synterx

Jan 24, 2005
    Illinois
    Hey TC!!! Can you maybe make a rack case that matches the cabinets? That's the problem I had with the RS cabs and RH heads. It only looks cool if you just set the heads on the cabs. The minute you rack the amps with, say, a wireless, then it doesn't match anymore.

A cool tolex rack case, say, 4 space and 2 space, with the match stripe and whatnot, and then red rack ears for the new BH amps, and you'd have a beautiful system.

I know, looks don't matter, but they do to some of us.

17. MikeCanada

MikeCanada

Aug 30, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    I purchased a RS410 in 2009-ish and it came with some really underwhelming feet. If you touched them against the edge of a stage or slid your cab at all while loading in/out (which is pretty much expected to an extent with a 82 lbs cabinet) they would pop right off and you'd be stuck with the screw head scratching everything, ripping up the carpet in your car, or wobbling on stage. After trying a few things to keep them on including contacting TC for replacements and some advice, I found out they stopped shipping the cabinets with feet. Given how easily the "Anti-skid dual component surface" gets marked up it would be nice if they actually put real Rhino-liner on there or came up with better feet.

As for the K-Series, I've been GASing for a RS210 for a while now, but would like a chance to A-B them. Given I am seeing suggested retail of £399 and a pre-order of £315 for the K-210 or synterx's $537 USD or €335 for the K-212 it seems that they are priced pretty similarly if not slightly cheaper than the RS series. I don't love or hate the design, but I'm one of those players that really doesn't care what people think my rig looks like. If they are more or less impressed with my bass playing because of what my gear looks like, I'm doing something wrong.

18. synterx

synterx

Jan 24, 2005
    Illinois
    Nothing wrong with caring how your rig looks, that is completely separate from how one plays. I like to have both, good playing, and a nice looking rig and bass, and clothing that's appropriate. Plus, I don't mind standing out a bit from the crowd. Showing up with a unique rig and gear is kind of fun for me. Showing up with one of the 210 or 212 cabs would for sure look unique.

I was kind of hoping TC would update their RH and RS cabs though. I wonder if they are just going to discontinue them. The RH heads especially, are so well build and unique in their industrial design. I'd love to see a slightly smaller and lighter version. The square, boxy BH heads are fine, but they are just like everyone else's mini amps.

Maybe they'll update them too, who knows.

19. ... of cuorse they release these two months after I buy my RS 212. I have no regrets, though.

20. flameworker

flameworker

Jun 15, 2014
    Landenberg, Pennsylvania
    one day....
    Those look incredible to me, I dig the tweeter, hate horn tweeters. And the red stripe is cool, I added a similar 2" purple stripe near the bottom of my hartke 410, cut it in half with a circular saw, to add 2" so I had the same internal volume as an aguilar db410.

I was a graphic designer too, the lines on those cabs are all kinds of wrong for sure. It's not the stripe that bugs me tho. They are kinda retro, almost art deco.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021