New style?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by hibeam, Dec 12, 2002.

1. hibeam

Oct 16, 2002
    I've been grappling with a few questions this past week, and I thought all you TBers could give me some insight.

I recently got a new teacher- studied music in college with URB and EB etc and he's really a sharp player and has taught me countless valuable things in a matter of months, I feel like I'm learning- bottom line, this guy can teach. The last lesson I had he asked to see my slap technique, and I showed it to him, and he strongly recommended that I change it. I won't really get into that, theres 150 slap technique threads. He also is forcing me to change a lot of things about my style of playing, moving me toward a softer touch and all that. And, I see his point about being able to play better with all these things.
    I just don't know if I really want to change the way I play bass. I have only really begun the path of bass playing (just five years so far) and I'd like to think I have developed something of my style, and I'm not entirely sure that I want to change it so drastically in the ways he suggests. Maybe I am just afraid of changing it and 'unlearning' the way I play now, but I can't help but think I really don't like the direction 'my' sound is moving.
    What do you people think?
  2. tomtom

Jun 17, 2002
    Philthy, PA
    bahhhhhh!!!! tell him to go f### himself!

no, just kidding.

A lot of people's unorthodox style's are what makes them unique in the first place. People like Jamaaladeen Tacuma for example play totally "wrong" in the eyes of many; but it's some of the hippest sh!t out there.

Certain things you can only improve though. If you only play hard, learn to play well softly... you need both. If your technique is getting in the way of executing what's in your head, then you need to change it. If it ain't, then don't.
  3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Don't confuse bad habits with style. Style is a lot of things - note choices, rhythms you choose, what you play when - but it's not technique. You said yourself that you can see yourself improving with his help.... trust him.
  4. If he's that good and he's pointing out a few inadequacies in your playing, well then I think you should pay heed to his advice.

Playing hard is a typical bad habit. If you always play hard you really limit yourself dynamically. Get used to playing softly and then add in extra attack when it really counts. Instant dynamics to your bass parts and people will really notice.

Don't see it as changing the irection 'your sound' is moving. I'll be honest, I'vehad about 8 lessons in my life. I went to see a really good bass teacher who, in a very subtle and positive way, told me technique was s**t. To tell you the truth it was. I used to play with a pick and after my first and longest running band split up , I was in a huge creative rut. Although I gave up the lessons when a new band came along, the things he showed me over that 2 month period have stood me in very good stead