Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Tears for Fears album

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Arjan, Nov 14, 2004.

1. Arjan

Arjan

Apr 18, 2002
    One of the most respected pop duos of the 80's have come up with a very nice album.

It also has one song with a simple but beautifull bassline (I keep listening to this tune over and over). It;s the albums last song, "Last day on Earth"

I don't know if it's Curt Smith who's playing it, but he was allways the bassplayer of the two. The tone is also great!

2. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    "Everybody Love a Happy Ending" is a great record. The swing away from contemporary British pop to the Beatles/Hollies sound they have now is a refreshing, if not unexpected change. I love how they managed to seamlessy mix old classic sounds with some new school stuff.

I've seen them doing the talk show circuit with Curt playing a Hofner Club Bass.

3. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    A good friend of mine played drums on that, so I've been loving that album for about 9 months now (Arista bumped back the release 4 or 5 times before it finally came out on another label). I believe thaty is Curt Smith on all the tracks and, from what I can tell, he switched from Warwick basses to a good old Hofner Club bass with flatwounds.

I saw them a few weeks ago at the Beacon in NY and they sounded great- though the bass was wayyy low in the the very quiet mix. Maybe they don't want to crank it up so as not to offend their old geezer fans. I disticntly listened to the wine- sippers around me discussing the stock market through all the newer numbers. They almost spilled merlot on their khakis during the older numbers, though, there was such a ripple of excitement.

Anyway, great album. Killer songs.

4. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I'm moving this to recordings due to it being more about actual recordings than it is the bassist.