new technique?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Stephen S, Aug 15, 2002.

1. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    Has anyone ever heard of a technique that is like a plucked muted harmonic that can be played on any string and all frets below the 12th? I know it sounds crazy but I get a similar sound to this. As soon as I get something that will let me convert WAV. to MP3 I will post the sound clip.
  2. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Is this the technique where you mute the string with your right thumb and then pluck with your other fingers? (while fretting normally) If so, XavierG posted a helpful post on it a while back. I think it was in reference to a song Jaco played on. Sorry I can't be more specific...:(
  3. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    I can't i cant really get it to ring as much yet cause i just tried it 5 mins ago but i can slap it too.
  4. Hi lil_bass guy. Sounds like you stumbled onto the world of false harmonics. Good on ya! There's a lot of information within the forums that will help you with the technique. Do a search for 'false harmonics' and you should find lot's of helpful posts. The diagram I posted was (I believe) in the Techniques forum and the thread was (if I'm not mistaken) "Birdland"... or something to do with it. I'll see if I can find it and post a link to it from here.

Slap too, huh? That's really great! I really get a kick outta hearing you young ones when you've discovered something new on the bass. My daughter (aged 13) is in that stage. Matter of fact, I am too. You see, one never really stops discovering new things on the bass, and that's why many of us continue playing well after our hair has turned grey (or fallen off). Best of luck to you.