Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Territory

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by budman, Dec 31, 2005.

1. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    At least for me anyway. Fanned frets and ponderosa pine. I thought it was such a nice looking piece of wood when I saw it at the wood dealer I had to try and make a bass out of it. Sands and cuts not disimilar to alder. A tad bit softer. Not as light weight as I thought it would be, but it'll be fine. The top is zebrawood with an ash accent.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I'm looking forward to seeing this one come out.

I'm guessing your'e going for a piano type tone between the fanned frets and the pickup placement? You'll get a lot of overtones with the pickups where they are. Should be interesting.

3. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Pickup placement at this point has to do with what was available that would work in a slanted position. Those Bartolinis are rated for a 96 to 102mm spacing, which doesn't give you a lot of wiggle room. Where they ended up is strictly a math thing. The locations are actually fret positions (as if the fingerboard continued) that match the 96 and 102mm spacings. I'm just hoping to get some noise out of it. If it's successful and the bass is playable I'll probably look into having some pickups made that will work in different locations.

LeCompte DBH-6, working title

4. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ah, got ya. What will the scale lengths be?

5. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    wow, that's very similar to my design! Looks good though, this is probably my favorite model of yours so far, good work. I can't wait to see it finished.

Greg

6. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    No, your design looks like mine. ;) I've been working on this for months.

7. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    36" to 33". I've also worked up a 5 string design with the same shape in a 36" to 33" scale with a single "sweet spot" pickup.

8. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    oh, lol. I had no idea you were working on something like this, my bad.

Greg

9. Fasoldt Basses

Fasoldt Basses

Mar 22, 2005
    Stevens Point, WI
    Karl Thompson, Builder (Formerly Fat Karl)
    Some people have all the fun. grumble. :scowl: :D
    Looks good.

10. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I can't wait to see the final product Bud, that one will look great!!

11. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    Wow bud...need I say again that you are doing yet another amazing job?

How did you or how are you going to make the fanned frets? That is, how do you know where to cut them?

By the way...that one kinda reminds me of a bee bass. Not a bad thing. I really do like it.

12. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Oh, you just sort of figure out ways to do these things as you go a long. I used a fret calculator and then connect the dots to make a pattern.

13. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    OHH I see. So you did 33" dots on one side and 36" on the other and then connecdted them. Ok got it. Very cool. Can't wait to see it finished.

14. Luke Sheridan

Luke Sheridan Commercial User

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I build guitars and sell them. Strings, too
    Bud, You continue to impress. That Pine looks wondeful, You would have thought??

15. I'm assuming that you first draw the string lines and then place the fret marker dots on the strings (for a 6 string, that would be the B and the C), then you connect the dots...

doesn't really sound too difficult...but it would be fussy to cut the fret slots...

16. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    same headstock? or a little different.

17. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    The headstock is a derivative of my other design so I'm suing myself over copyright infringements. I'm shooting for maximum damages.

18. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Making some progress. Had a little bugger show up in the maple on the heel. It appeared as I was shaping the contour. Oh, well. I might draw some legs on it and make it look like a spider. Slotting the fingerboard was a real pain, but I kept plowing through it and got it done. So far everything looks promising.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    Man, you're pumpin' 'em out like crazy....I hope to one day be as efficient as you seem to be.
    Nice design. I've always liked the 'reverse' type body design, like the explorer/firebird models and some of the one's Scott F. has come up with. That piece(s?) of pine looks yummy!

20. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Looking great! I can't wait to see the finished product.