1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

new theory. ibanez kicks butt

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by instigata, Mar 26, 2006.

1. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    please feel free to disagree, but i'm pretty sure that ibanez dominates the beginner/intermediate market in terms of construction, playbaility, tone, and looks.

i just wish they marketed themselves a bit better.

2. d-basser

d-basser

Nov 20, 2005
    PEAVEY ALL THE WAY
    I started on a peavey Milestone IV that kicked butt for the price (£120)
    I now play a Grind BXP (not a NTB an not a cirrus but similar)
    Would kill for a Cirrus!!!

3. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    i guess peavey is one thati is going to pop up. and yamaha. i actually am not a cirrus fan really. kinda not my thing.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I started off on a mid-level Ibanez, and frankly, I couldn't be any happier with it, as far as build quality and tone (regardless, I pulled the electronics and wired it with Dimarzio's to better suit my needs) HOWEVER, the rest is mostly unmodified. Wonderful bass with no shortcomings.

5. Rich600

Rich600

Nov 22, 2004
    Scotland
    Me = Ibanez through and through. Love the sound/playabilty/tone/aesthetics.

6. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I think people rag on Ibanez because they're so popular and so widely used. Around me, it seems like everyone plays a Soundgear. It's like with the video game Final Fantasy 7. It's a very good RPG, but because it's so popular (and thus all the "stoopid kiddies" are all playing it) the RPG "elite" snub the game.

I keep a cheapie Soundgear at my parents' house when I go visit them and it's a fine bass. After a pro setup, it feels, plays, and sounds fantastic. I love the Soundgear body shape. It balances so well. I can keep the body low for my right hand and the neck hangs at a good angle for my left hand so it doesn't bend steeply. The only caveat I have is that I'd prefer the neck to be wider and chunkier. Methinks a hybrid bass with the Soundgear body but the BTB neck would be an ideal Ibby for me.

Back when I was starting out 10 or so years ago, Ibanez was the best game in town for a good affordable bass. My first bass was an EXB404 and my first fiver was a TRB105. Nowadays, Ibanez has loads of competition from Peavey, LTD (ESP's budget line), Aria, G&L Tribute... Still, the selection of Ibanez basses is so wide, it's nice to have so many options.

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    There. Fixed it for you. ;)

Actually, I've been very impressed with their Artcore semi-hollowbodies. If they'd only make them in five strings...

8. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    that is the only RPG i can play and not hate. its just good.

9. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    imho their entry level stuff is as good as any (better than most), i just think when you buy new and get up to the prestige models they turn into the "i been had" that some are familiar with (i had a prestige sr5005 that was a good value used, put i would have never paid anywhere near the 1k+ they go for).

10. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I disagree.

11. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    i concur with your disagreement.

have u played the gary willis model? amazing.

if people can shell out almost 1 grand for CIJ fenders, whats wrong with a made in japan Ibanez? the high level btbs, prestige soundgears, etc etc. ate made there. and are AMAZING.

and the lower level ones.. just swap out the pups (which are great to begin with) and i think you could conquer the world.

12. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I like Ibanez. Thin necks for my (small) hands, and well...I've got 2 of em. RB800 and SR800.

Also considering I got both of them for under 200 with a hard case each, I'm nto going to complain.

13. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I suppose I should have been more articulate - I was disagreeing with your original post, where you said "Feel free to disagree..."

14. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Wait a minute, I thought I heard/read somewhere here on TalkBass that the newer Prestige models are being made in the Korean factory. If that's the case, that kinda sucks if they're charging Japanese price for a Korean instrument.

15. SneakyT

SneakyT Commercial User

Dec 5, 2005
    Austin
    I have owned quite a few ibanez basses through out the years. I have never had any problem with them except electronics. The Gary Willis bass and mij stuff doesn't even have that problem and those are awsome playing basses too.

I just cant let a couple of things go uncontested here though.
    I hate me some Hartley and chocobos. ewwwww hate em. Leave it to peavey and final fantasy fans to start talkin about their stuff in a topic titled "new theory. ibanez kicks butt". I swear you two groups should be considered a cult.

And before I get any flames I am quite joking.........cults

16. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    I was lucky enough to get my start with a teal green sr800
    back in 92,and I miss it dearly.(stolen) the old srs had skinnyier necks than the new ones,so learning was a breeze.

17. SneakyT

SneakyT Commercial User

Dec 5, 2005
    Austin
    Country of origin is not the indicator of quality it once was. Cort is making some very nice (including most if not all korean Ibanez, MTD, and Lakland) basses these days. I know I would pay the $1500 for a saratoga and its made in the same factory as those Prestige models. Play the basses. If you like it enough to buy it then its a good deal. In the past japanese ones have been better so I understand the bias. Just try them out before you judge. I never would have thought that the Laklands and MTD's would be as great as they are until I tried them.:)

18. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    i'm not anti-import, or anti ibanez for that matter. i just think when you get around the $1300-ish for a prestige, there could be better options for not a whole lot more, or maybe less- ie lakland skyline, warwick corvette, euro spector, any of the ebmm stingray line, peavey cirrus, g&l, etc.
    ymmv

19. Skeletomania

Skeletomania

Oct 25, 2005
    hong kong
    I think it depends where you live. I haven't seen much Ibby being played. Most of the beginners I see are playing Squier P bass. I'm a beginner myself, and I went for the latter. I bought myself a Peavey Millennium. I never heard of Peavey before. I don't know what I put my money into, but I'm glad I did. Every one have their own opinion on bass. Reading the bass forum it seems that every make and model is pretty much kicking asses.

20. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    skel has a real good point. everyonewill think a certain bass kicks ass in one way or another. thats the fun in deomocracy and free markets!!!

its so subjective it hurts sumtimes..

i was simply browsing the ibanez site and i noticed how much i loved virtually each and every bass they make.