Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New things From Pope and Fodera

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Christian Houmann, May 2, 2005.

1. From http://www.mikepopejazz.com/words.html
    I'm not sure if it has been up for a while.
    Take a look - It's interesting

Since I last posted I've spent a lot of time in "tech" land. I'm working with my friend, David Yates, on a bunch of new stuff for Fodera. We're introducing a completely redesigned internal preamp, based on a revolutionary new proprietary power supply design which eliminates all of the disadvantages of batteries without eliminating the batteries themselves. (Sorry, you'll still have to change them once in a while.) The EQ frequencies will stay the same, but the overall transparency is GREATLY improved. It's just another step toward a preamp that's invisible when you set it flat, which has always been my approach.

I'm working on a new batch of Fodera rackmount preamps now. I was in my shop, drilling out the holes in the faceplates that Vinny Fodera had given me, and I had a revelation. Vinny made me a little jig in which I insert the wood panel for the faceplate. The jig has little drill bushings that locate all the holes exactly.

As I inserted and removed each successive piece, I realized that every single one of them fit into the jig perfectly, without being held by a clamp. Every one of them was accurate within 1/64th of an inch so friction alone held them there. They were all made COMPLETELY by hand. Just a straight edge and a pencil. It just reaffirms that the level of craftsmanship and artistry in the Fodera shop is truly the equal of even the greatest players of their instruments. True brilliance. It's not a common thing.

We're working on a new product as well. A compressor pedal. It will be a very straightforward pedal. The frequency response will be DC to about 30kHz and will fall into the ultra low noise category. It will be competitively priced.

In addition, there's a new version of the Model 2000 in the works. It'll be the Model 2005. An improved model 2000 with some of the private practice amp features built in. Both products should be out around NAMM.

2. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    This sounds like some great things for the future. I can't wait to work with Mike on a preamp in the future.