1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New, third Reverend Dub King color option

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mustang Surly, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

Jul 10, 2013
    For any of you who are considering the purchase of one of these:

DUB%20KING%20METALLIC%20ALPINE_zpspjlgyn3x.jpg

GregC, Bass_Thumper, nerkoids and 2 others like this.
  2. Calexia13

Calexia13

May 22, 2007
    That is sweet, but my mercalli 4 is already that color. I am holding out for this bass in matte finish redburst.

3. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Nice!

4. nerkoids

nerkoids

Jan 3, 2014
    Montreal
    Now if they could make a lefty...

5. SVTX

SVTX

Jun 20, 2016
    I ordered mine through guitar.co.uk, which by the way is a very pleasant dealer to do business with, the sales person took a lot of time to make sure I was fully satisfied. They will restring the bass with my strings and install a hipshot X-tender for me and then ship the bass in the case (sold separately). Now it's waiting time aka Bass Guitar Labour! They are supposed to ship mid of July, then it's clearing UK customs and workshop stuff, then shipping to Germany so I'm looking to hold it in my hands about mid/end of August. What am I gonna do until then? :hyper:

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
  6. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

Jul 10, 2013
    SVTX,
    Will be interested to read your review. I really like my DK.

7. SVTX

SVTX

Jun 20, 2016
    I will write one, for sure. Too little on here about this beauty!

8. SVTX

SVTX

Jun 20, 2016
    He's coming home! What a BEAUTY!

IMG_7973.jpg IMG_7978.jpg

Thwack, GregC, CatSquare and 2 others like this.
  9. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Man I need to try one of these again. I had one for a split second but it wasn't what I was looking for at the moment so I didn't give it a great shakeout. I still love the orange though!

10. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

Jul 10, 2013
    Let us know how it feels and sounds to you SVTX.

Because of the slightly wider string spacing on the DK, I'm quicker on the frets with my left hand on my Mustang and Starfire. But that wider spacing sometimes feels more comfortable to my right hand. Trade-off...

Hard to beat the DK for range of sounds in a passive semi-hollow.

"I still love the orange though!"

Being a longtime fan of Gretsch guitars, I was also set on getting the orange when I started looking for one of these. Found a killer deal on a brand new 'burst, so I "settled". Over time, it's grown on me til I think I actually prefer it to the orange now (not to say that the orange isn't beautiful).

11. SVTX

SVTX

Jun 20, 2016
    It's supposed to arrive on Tuesday, I will test drive it and share my thoughts. I'm way too excited for this thing. I'm used to playing a Gretsch Broadkaster, which has a short scale and 3/4" string spacing as well, very comfortable to play and great sounding but the body was way to deep for me, with the arched top and back the strings are just too far away from the body, for my taste anyway. The Dub King is much slimmer and has a flat top, I think I'm gonna like that a lot better as it's more in the realm of a solid body instrument. With the colors now, well... I like the orange too and who knows, at some point I may feel I need more of these :bassist:

12. CatSquare

CatSquare

Mar 7, 2014
    Ooo I've always liked the look of these and that green looks awesome on it!

13. SVTX

SVTX

Jun 20, 2016
    Sooo... I've had my first couple of hours with the Dub King and I have to say I am already quite fond of it. The sounds range from crisp and dry on the (very hot) bridge pickup to full blown bass attack on both and of course neck position. I prefer both pickups on with the tone all the way up. Just that nice throaty growl coming through the nicest, rich and round bass tone. I mostly play with a (Dunlop Delrin 1.14mm) pick but finger style does obviously work just as well and it sounds just as good. The short scale neck is easy to play and the headstock took the Hipshot X-Tender well. I have to try different amps with it though, right now I had a Tecamp Puma 1000 but I prefered it when I put a Valve Drive in front of it with the gain all the way down, just to add that that buttery richness and a touch of harmonic compression.

I might have to add this thing is flawlessly made, everything where its supposed to be, nice setup. Only that vanilla scent from the case interior is a tiny tad disturbing :-D

barroso likes this.
  14. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    This green metallic is my favourite. If only Reverend could update the pickup design. I am not fond if the actual design of the pickups.

15. SVTX

SVTX

Jun 20, 2016
    I love the green, it looks like that milky Absinthe tone with a spark of frost added. I'm okay with the pickups, I prefer the brick shape over the split coil shape of a P-bass pickup.
    If only the vanilla scent from the case would fade quiter, it really makes me sick from time to time. Like put a damn nice fragrance in there but VANILLA? Come on, Reverend!