1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Thunderbird day!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sammyfallen, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Got this the other day.

I've heard many bad things about T-birds, but this one is FANTASTIC.

GREAT action and tone for days (imo of course)

There are no markings on the bass, but, I'm 99% sure its a Epi Goth T-bird.

Attached Files:

2. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    How well does it balance? That is the only thing I didn't like about the one I had....

3. The Goth 'Bird has the Roman numeral "XII" inlayed at the 12th fret. It looks like yours has the same thing, but it's hard to be sure from the pic, since it's not totally clear.

If it is a Goth, it also looks like someone swapped out the pickguard and made a custom truss rod cover.

4. Hmm, headstock looks modified....unless thats just a shadow line. As well as the input jack, at least I'm assuming thats the input jack. Kinda hard to tell with this pic. People can buy after factory truss rod covers and pickguards on the internet though...

5. It does have the roman numerals, so, it is a goth.

The strap button was relocated to the heel of the neck before I bought it.

Funny thing about the pick guard & TRC is I made them from some Lowes plastic signs.

I didn't dig the black on black for some reason.

6. Basso54

Basso54

Jul 22, 2003
    Dalhart, TX
    Love the looks on T-birds, hate the sound. Good lookin' bass.

7. BassDoc51

BassDoc51

Dec 20, 2011
    Fairborn, OH
    It was almost new Thunderbird day for me yesterday, until the kid working at the mom & pop store in town couldn't find the gig bag; dinged the bass hard against the counter, and then had the nerve to offer to take $20 off the price of a hard case. So maybe, hopefully today will be the day.

8. rockscott

rockscott

Aug 28, 2010
    massachusetts
    Thunderbirds are love/hate. Some people really like them, some really despise them, there seems to be no in between? I dig the Thunderbird sound, i think its the ultimate bass for rock music! They are limited in their tonal range, not the bass you want for slap/funk.

9. Here it is with my big rig!

(Ignore the ancient green carpet)

tbird1.

10. stiles72

stiles72

Mar 20, 2009
    Albany IL
    Nothing wrong with loving the sound of an Epi-bird. The Epi pups are loud, and have a rep for being muddy or dark. I have found that I really like the sound of the neck pickup with the tone rolled off- it's big, beefy, smooth and deep. I did swap my bridge pickup for a Mike Lull repro Thunderbird pickup and wired it so that it is always "treble" and not affected by the tone pot. That way if I do want some defintion, I can always dial it in with the bridge pickup and leave the neck pickup with the tone rolled off.

LULLPUPS-700-good-029.

11. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods!

Gibsons have the plug coming out of the rear edge. Epi have the plug coming out of the face near the knobs.......yours is definitly an Epi

12. rockscott

rockscott

Aug 28, 2010
    massachusetts
    The plug jack on the epiphone pro's, is on the rear edge not the front.

13. BassDoc51

BassDoc51

Dec 20, 2011
    Fairborn, OH
    Someone please come wipe away the drool now. That's a beautiful bass.

14. mav

mav

Jun 10, 2003
    Here's my Epi Goth with a few mods. Lollar Pups.
    Epitbirdgoth1.
    Epitbirdgoth2.

15. tiger_rich

tiger_rich

Nov 25, 2011
    My epi is almost completely stripped. I would like to do a blue stain with a black edge, my take on a vintage Sunburst. Black hardware and emg 35 cs for neck and a DC for bridge. Any thoughts or advice is appreciated. Picture of back side is after heat gun, before sanding.

Attached Files:

16. Mark4

Mark4

Oct 21, 2007
    Congrats! Love how it looks with the white pickguard and truss rod cover.

17. lasher69

lasher69

Mar 1, 2011
    Amarillo Tx
    Tbirds rock! It seems that gibson & epis can be hit & miss on particulars such as the action & setup. But when they're on, they kick ass. Many other brands copy the T-bird. I have a spector that totally rocks. i know ESP & Dean also have their imitations, but haven't had the chance to check any out. I love the ESP with its' reverse headstock.
    Whatever brand when setup well, you can't beat Thunderbirds for rock bass.

18. mozzer138

mozzer138

May 17, 2011
    Looks great! Where'd you find the pickguard? It seems like all of the pickguards I've found online have specified that they're made for the gibson and NOT the epi t-bird.

19. mav

mav

Jun 10, 2003
    The pick guard is off a regular epi vintage sunburst just swopped them around and sold the VS.
    Here's a pick of them together
    Photo0297.