New to 5 strings - Best for under $700

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by OldCityBass, Jan 13, 2004.

1. I’ve played 4 string bass for about 15 years and I’ve decided I want to give a 5 string a try. I have about $700 to spend and I’d like to get a bass & case for that. I’ll be in Orlando for work the end of this month and I plan on going to Bass Central to try out some basses. I have never played a 5 sting for more than a few minutes but I have my eye on a few like the Lakland 55-01 and the KSD jazz 5 string. What do you think of these models and/or what would you recommend in this price range?
  2. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Used stingray 5, just wait and you will find one for that.
  3. those two are very good options in this price range. im sure either would be a great entrance into 5s
  4. afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    The Lakland Skyline 55-01 goes for $699 in most online stores. It's a great bass with excelent construction and very versatile sound. Also an MTD Kingston seems very affordable and from what I've heard would be a great option too. They go for less tha $500 on Bass Central and on Zzounds.

Both basses got great reviews on Bass Player mag; if that counts.

Hope this helped...
  5. G&L L-1505 Tribute.
  6. Lakland skyline 55-01, Ibanez BTB, G&L L2500 tribute (or a used USA L2500).
  7. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    I think either of those would be great choices. Might try a G&L (used) or a Tribue G&L (new) also. I know this will sound blasphemous, but I never like the sound or feel of a musicman bass.
  8. Spector Professional Series......probably brand new or possibly a used European series one.:)
  9. LA

Oct 17, 2001

:eek: :eek: :eek:
  10. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    yeah, I know...I wanted to like them, but I just couldn't
  11. Heavy_E

Jul 2, 2002
    Go with Lakland...

That was the best move I made!!!
  12. Funkee1

Jul 19, 2002
    MTD Kingston or a Spector NS 2000 Q5 series will run you about $550 most places, and will kick the crap out of almost anything else in the price range.

Edit: I changes the numbers, because I forgot you were looking for a 5. I can personally testify about the Spector..Me, on the Spector Website