Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New to acoustic?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WeakLink, Mar 16, 2006.

1. WeakLink

WeakLink

Mar 16, 2006
    PA
    Hey, everyone. New here... seems cool.

I recently bought a Grestch acoustic after several years of playing out with solid bodies and a Mesa Boogie rig. We do rock-style music and I just want to pick it up now and then during a gig for something different.

A couple things:

I have trouble with feedback and hum in excessive amounts. Mics seem to be placed okay... not sure what it's all about.

I also find that the volume and tone differs greatly from the top to the bottom strings. My lowest notes seems to just rumble and roar with diminished volume while it increases as you move up the strings or frets - without adjusting anything. I can understand the principles here, but again... it seems excessive.

Anybody else with these issues that can offer some direction? Thanks.

2. BassDerek

BassDerek

Aug 15, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    what model is it? does it have a normal sound hole? If so you may trying to find some sort of feedback buster item (plugs up the soundhole to reduce feedback looping.).

More info would be helpful.

3. WeakLink

WeakLink

Mar 16, 2006
    PA
    It's a RANCHER G 6175W Acoustic/Electric Bass. Discontinued model, but got a good deal because a finish blem. Regular sound hole.