Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New to all this

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Evilash, May 1, 2004.

1. Evilash

Evilash

Mar 12, 2004
    I"m pretty new to wiring and such. I plan to get some Model Js and put in my Fender jazz and to put a toggle switch in to switch them from parallel to series. Now I have seen all the threads on this, but there are lot of things that I do not understand. Does anyone know of a good website or FAQ about wiring in gerenal? I would like to learn as much as possible. Things like pots and capacitors just confuse my mind. Thanks for the help in advance.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    There's guitarnuts.com, that has some good stuff.

Basically, in a passive circuit (no preamp, just vol&tone), you can't add anything to the signal - only take away. So when volume and tone are at full, there's zero cut being applied.

In a volume pot (potentiometer), as you turn down the volume you're sending an increasing amount out to ground. As the pot turns down from full, internally there's a wiper which makes the path to ground shorter.

Similarly in a tone pot, as you turn down from full more of the signal goes to ground via the capacitor. Different capacitors affect what frequency ranges go to ground. A tone control is different from an active treble boost/cut as the active contol only boosts/cuts it's frequency range, whereas a tone control rolls off all frequencies past the range implied by the capacitor.

3. Evilash

Evilash

Mar 12, 2004
    Wow thanks. Guituarnuts.com looks like a great site with tons of stuff to read. Now I must start studying for my little project. Thanks again.