Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new to amps need help on hooking up and buying amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pinkfloyd16, Oct 25, 2000.

1. pinkfloyd16

pinkfloyd16

Oct 25, 2000

is any one out there willing to sell any 410's or 212's and would it matter if i had a peavey 115 or can i hook up any thing with anything im pretty new at this stuff so if any one wants to help go head i was actually looking for 410's but i read that it didnt give great output but i tried 410's and i thought they were great but i also read that 212's were even better need help

2. If memory serves me correct, peavey cab's are all 4ohms. therefor, if you were gonna run it with another cab that was 4 ohms, or 8 ohms actuly, you'd have to be able to get an amp that could run at 2ohms, or you'd mess some stuff up by doing that. there are a few companys that sell heads that can run down to 2ohms (swr, peavey, all that comes to mind right now). or you could get a sterio amp and run a 4ohms cab on each side, OR bi-amp it so the 15's is getting the lows and the 10's are getting the high's. my recomendation is do a TON of research on amps, and learn as much as you can possible about them, then start trying them out. you'll save yourself a TON of time if you do research first. that way you'll be sure of what your trying out, and when you finaly do buy your amp, you wont be buying somthing that wont be able to do what you want it to do.

about the cabs...the only company that i know of that sells bass 2x12's is Eden, and will set you back about $650-$700. and it runs at 4ohms, so you'd have to get an amp that runs at 2ohms (as said before).

you said that you heard 4x10's didnt have great output? where'd you read that? the reson why a lot of people use 4x10's is cause they dont eat up a ton of power (as some 15's can do but thats really not that much[notice i said some, and not all])

you really need to chose what type of sound you want... do you want that dub low raggae sound(15's is your case then) do you want a real punchy sound (10's would be your solution) or do you want somthing in the middle of that (thats where 12's come in handy). BUT you should know that a simple solution to all of this is to get a 1x15 with a 2x10 or 4x10 on top. that will give you the sub low's. as i said before, do a ton of research.

3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    The Peavey 115BX, 115BX BW, 410TXF, and the new 410TVX are available as either 4 or 8 ohms cabinets.

If you are considering any of these cabs, be sure to get the impedance that you want. :)

4. really? wow i never knew that! see, ya learn somthing new every day...

5. pinkfloyd16

pinkfloyd16

Oct 25, 2000
    like i said i dont know much about amps, cabs, heads, but i have a couple more questions
    -whats impedance
    -i have a mark 3 or something like that and it has a power in and a pre amp out can you tell me how this all works so i can get a better sound or better something
    -if my cab now says its 4 ohms should i get another with for ohms
    thats mostly it though