1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New to Bass Guitar

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Shortbigtoe, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Shortbigtoe

Shortbigtoe

Feb 25, 2008
    I'm new here and I have read the facts but unfortunately I'm too new to the bass guitar. There are a lot of things mentioned in the faqs section that I just don't understand so with this information already shared here is my request.
    I need help with buying a bass guitar. Does anyone know a good starter kit that wont burn a monstrous hole in my pocket ($200-$500)? If not a starter kit maybe a good bass guitar and a good amp that I could buy (for now I'm getting ready to use a friends bass and a amp so IMO I really don't need a starter at all). I've listened to my friends play guitar and it seems fun and I figured that maybe I should pick up and learn to play the bass since I dont know many who do.

P.S. Any tips or pointers I should know about? Thanks in advance. Any help is much appreciated.

P.S.S. Im instrumentally challenged. I have only played the acoustic guitar in middle school a few years ago... lol.

P.S.S.S. Any instructional videos or anything like that you can recommend is also appreciated.

Sorry if I seem ignorant about not using the "search function"(I did use it but I'm not sure what Im looking at) but please understand that I know nothing about the bass and I would really like to learn more. Thanks.

2. bassalo

bassalo

Jan 23, 2008
    CT
    When I started, I passed on the starter kits and purchased a bass I felt very satisfied with. Shortly thereafter, I bought a Line 6 Bass Pod - why amplify when you don't know how to play yet? I still don't have an amp, but at least I have a bass I am very happy with (ESP LTD EC-254) and I can hear myself on headphones. When the time comes when I can play decently, then I feel like I'm ready to amplify. It's a personal preference, but I think the most important thing is having a bass you feel and play comfortably with. Then save the clams for a decent amp after you know you're going to stick with it and you can play.

3. Shortbigtoe

Shortbigtoe

Feb 25, 2008
    Lol that shows how much I know about bass. I was under the impression that you need an amp to play the bass, or are you talking about acoustic bass? Before I dig this hole further I'll just read and act accordingly hehe.

4. If I were YOU & I was just starting out today. I'd BUY one of the SX basses-see the SX megathread for LOTS of info on them they are GOOD entry level basses-in the traditional Fender shapes & designs- as U get better they make GREAT basses to modify-i.e. get better quality parts/pick ups etc!!!! I've been playing/gigging for 30+yrs I I often use MY modified SX P-bass live!!
    AND to start off I'd buy one of those FENDER B-DEC amps. They have a "band" inside 'em. Basically like those keyboards that play a backing track for you to play along with. ONLY THESE do it for bass..... they've a drum line, guitaretc.... chord changes A GREAT way to jam along & LEARN as U go- hAVING FUN!!!!!!!! I'd lke one myself! AND a G-DEC- (the guitar version) so I can get MY guitar(6 string) up to scratch! These B-DEC Fender amps aren't loud enough to gig with(save a small coffee shop jazz gig perhaps) BUT IMO are a great investment.
    The SX basses sell NEW for UNDER $200 www.rondomusic.com Not sure of B-DEC amp price but look at www.fender.com & you'll find out.
    Good luck & WELCOME to the BASS community!

5. Shortbigtoe

Shortbigtoe

Feb 25, 2008
    Wow thanks. So with that amp you basically play along in a way? Sounds like fun. I have had friends also recomend Ibanez as a good starter bass.

I should mention that we get inspiration from TOOL, Rammstein, and Pink Floyd and many more, so are there any bass guitars that are good for certain types of play-styles?

P.S. Thanks for the warm welcome =D

6. Welcome to the Talk Bas board

Welcome to the wonderful world of bass guitars it's addictive

Now to address your inquiry....

What sort of music do you intend to play? Your budget is fairly small to acquire both a bass and an amp....that said i suggest you buy used as you will get much more for your money by going that route....

Buying new for less than 500.00 you do have a few options...

Most people on this board are going to point you at Fender which has a decent product, a good rep and a very good, safe overall classic sound (however i find them boring) that said...

The Fender FSR Standard P runs les than 500.00 new barely
    The Fender Standard Jazz also runs less than 500.00 new but barely

You would probably get more for your money buying a Fender Squier new for less than 300.00 which would leave you a few bucks to pick up a small practice amp and a cord, strap and a tuner. You need to play a squier in person as their quality seems to be hit or miss some really awesome, some complete crap. look at

Squier by Fender Vintage Modified '70s Jazz Bass
    Squier by Fender Vintage Modified Precision Bass
    or the Affinity series

Next for a more agressive and modern look and sound I would look at Ibanez there are way too many models to list in the under $500.00 dollar range but overall they are really decent instruments however most of them are active (meaning you will need to invest in a lot of 9 volt batteries)

My favorite in this price range would be ESP. ESP are really nice instruments for the money with features you will only find on higher priced models among the other well known brands. They get a bad rep and most people only think they are good for Punk or Metal music, but some of their models have classic styling and very versatile sound.

i Would look at these models all well within the 300.00 to 500.00 dollar price range new

ESP F-104, LTD B-55, Viper-104, EX-104, AX-104, LTD D-4, B-154 DX, or the LTD EC 254

Also i would suggest Spector also an awesome product for the price...In the 300.00 to 500.000 dollar price range new i would look at

The Spector Legend 4, Spector Performer 4

But Yamaha, Peavey, Dean, Washburn, Cort, Warwick Rockbass, Traben, and Schecter all have decent instruments available new for less than $500.00

There are so many factors to look at like neck profiles, scale, pick-up configuration, active, passive etc....

again the best way to get the most for your money is to buy used....take somebody wth you that has some experience in this area so you don't get ripped off...

play as many basses as you can.....start with body shapes and colors you like or are attracted to and play those and decide what sounds and feels the best to your hands, eyes, and ears.....

I have picked up 3,000.00 dollar instruments that left me cold and picked up 300.00 dollar instruments that blew me away....(For the Money) if you don't like the look and sound of your bass you will probably be less inclined to play it

If i had to do it all over from scratch i would start out with and SX from www.rondomusic.com and a small but powerful used combo amp probably something in the 50 to 60 watt range

that way if i decided that i didn't like it, i could sale it and most likely make my money back.

Hope this helps and good luck

and remember play what you like and like what you play...

7. ArpeggiFish

ArpeggiFish

Feb 24, 2008
    Welcome to the board (I've been here a while, but new acc.)

I've heard nothing but great things from SX, and hmmmm...I'm no genius at amps, but Fender is a good start.

8. ysand

ysand

Mar 26, 2005
    Athens/Greece
    SX or Squier Vintage Modified or Spector Legend or Warwick Rockbass or Ibanez GSR200
    :)

9. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    BUY USED-TAKE LESSONS

10. What he said. Check several used basses and see what feels good to YOU!

But make sure you try at least one Peavey.....

Enjoy!
    mark

11. Shortbigtoe

Shortbigtoe

Feb 25, 2008
    Thanks for all the help. I'll give the few music stores around town a visit tomorrow when I have a little more time. On average, how much do bass lessons usually go for?

12. Around here on average about $30.00 an hour, but if you sign up for a month at a time they decrease it $100.00 a month....but i think you will find that $30.00 an hour is about average