1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New to bass, have a few questions.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by strangebrew, Feb 23, 2008.

1. strangebrew

strangebrew

Feb 23, 2008
    Hi there everyone, this is my first post!

I'm new to bass, but not too music. I used to be a drummer who used to play in a high school band. Long story short, are lead singer and bassist moved away, so I decided to fill his shoes.

I bought one of his basses, Fender Mark Hoppus bass. It was pretty new, rarely used, but it seemed to rattle, so i took it in to my local shop to get the truss rod adjusted, but the tech said it looked fine, except he lowered the action because he thought it was a bit high.

So i put it back in tune, and started playing, and now if i pluck a string too hard, it hit's against the fret and rattles or buzzes. Just wondering if there is any problems I'm missing here. By the way the neck isn't warped at all, just in case you were wondering.

Thanks a bunch

2. onlyclave

onlyclave

Oct 28, 2005
    Seattle
    Your plucking fingers need to pull the strings parallel to the top of the bass. If you are smacking downward on them you are going to bounce them off of the end of the fingerboard or pickups.

You fretting fingers need to push the string down as close to the fret as possible. Not in the middle, not in the back. Don't use the fat pad of your finger. Use the tips. And make sure your thumb is always on the back of the neck. Don't let it creep up over the top.

3. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    Maybe try moving your right (plucking) hand a little closer to the bridge, combined with a bit lighter touch.

4. strangebrew

strangebrew

Feb 23, 2008
    what happens if I'm using a pick. Because for faster playing i use a pick because i don't quite have the speed down plucking.

5. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

It's really a technique issue. When I play faster, I also tend to move the strings vertically rather than horizontally. An occasional string contact is much more audible in practice than in performance. You may also find that until your technique developes, you like the strings just a tad higher....or the pickups a bit lower.

6. strangebrew

strangebrew

Feb 23, 2008
    will having highstring become an issue, or is it something that i can work with and change later?