1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New to bass, have questions about my bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Passive Jay, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Passive Jay

Passive Jay

Aug 17, 2012
    A couple years ago I picked up a bass guitar on a whim, played with it for a week or two and gave up. This week Rocksmith added bass support so I have given it a second shot.

For giggles I looked up my bass, the reviews for it are good but all of the reviews are on sites selling the guitar so I dont trust them. Does anyone know if this is a good bass?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/sterling-by-music-man-ray34-electric-bass-guitar/580995000030000

Also, I dont even really know the basics. They list a bunch of features for the bass but I dont know if they are actual things I should know or if its more like an auto manufacturer advertising that their cars have four wheels?

Is any of this stuff different then any other bass?

Features
    Swamp ash body
    Maple neck
    Rosewood fingerboard
    21 frets
    6-bolt Music Man designed neck joint
    Music Man Designed Humbucking Pickup
    Music Man Designed 3-band Active Preamp
    Music Man Designed Bridge with stainless steel saddles
    34” scale
    Open gear heavy duty tuners
    Spoke Wheel truss rod adjustment
    Heavy duty gig bag included
    Ernie Ball bass strings: .045, .065, .080, .100
    Nut width: 43mm (1.69")

The only thing I do know is that it looks cool!

RAY34-SVB.

2. Passive Jay

Passive Jay

Aug 17, 2012
    Help a brother out!

3. Yes, you have a very respectable bass. Many devout followers of Music Man and Sterling by Music Man.

If this is your starter bass - you have years of practice before you will be its equal.

Enjoy - and keep it fun!

4. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Yeah, that's a good bass. A lot of those features are things that all basses will have, but it's still a good bass. Use the knob closest to the strings for volume, and set the other ones in the middle (there will be a notch) and play!

5. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

That is a pretty solid starter bass, shouldn't imagine it give you any problems. It probably needs a setup and some new strings.

Oh also, word of advice, if you want to learn to play bass, take lessons with a good teacher. Rocksmith is a waste of time, the only practical skill it teaches you is how to play without looking at your fretboard. 30 minutes of a proper practice regime every two days will go much farther than 2 hours a day of rocksmith 7 days a week.

6. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    Saskatoon? Sheraton Club at the Top of the *something* It was a long time ago. It was a fun gig with their Saturday Night Fever dance floor. Nice stage though...

so sorry for the highjack

7. I tried one of those at GC, and then cheeped out and bought a used bass. I should have kept trying them. That was a good bass, and I also liked the Ibanez and the Schecter. The bass I ended up with has weak pickups that don't sound good even through a good amp.

I think that's a good bass, and I doubt you would regret buying it.

8. I'll second what's been said, great starter bass for sure! Probably better than what most people start out on. I've never owned a Music Man, but played the Sterling by MM often in L & M. Very nice feeling bass. So...get busy practicing man!

9. Passive Jay

Passive Jay

Aug 17, 2012
    I certainly cant argue with you but Rocksmith has been very helpful teaching me the basics. I am sure once I am farther along lessons would be useful but right now Rocksmith is doing a good job.

10. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Its a good bass but nut is wider then I like.

11. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Ernie Ball never made a bass that I wouldn't play the hell out of!

12. Equally important is the amp. The sound you hear and the pleasure you will get from making music will largely depend on having an amp that can handle a bass properly. A small starter/practice amp will give a very disappointing sound. A minimum amp, IHO, needs at least 100 watts and a 12" or two 10" speakers. There are many very good used amps out there that you can have for less than $300.
    Rocky

13. Passive Jay

Passive Jay

Aug 17, 2012
    I actually do not know what that means.

14. Measure the distance across the nut, or where the zero fret would be, if the bass had one. This particular model has a wide "Precision width" nut, and there are some rock players who love the "chunky" feel that this provides. You screen name implies that you like passive Jazz basses, and those have narrower nut widths that are typically conducive to playing faster, more intricate passages. It boils down to what is comfortable, in your hands. Like many players, I started on a neck like yours, but have come to prefer the skinnier "Jazz"-style necks. Learn what you can from this site, bassplayer.com and a few others, and keep developing. In time, you will come to know what you want out of "your" sound, and what your hands prefer. In February of 2013, I will have been a bassist for 30 years...and I was still working on "my" sound, until fairly recently -and I gig frequently. Now, many of the people I play with are telling me that I have truly found "my" voice on the instrument, and it is a very satisfying feeling. I won't rest on it; there is always room to improve, and develop more chops.

15. Passive Jay

Passive Jay

Aug 17, 2012
    I have an acoustic B20 amp but since I have access to a ton of virtual gear from Rocksmith I do not use it.

16. Passive Jay

Passive Jay

Aug 17, 2012

Actually Passive Jay is just a nickname I acquired and use for my forum name on the various places I surf. I am a fairly big guy (6'7) so the wide neck does not really bother me.

17. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    I have one of these, I'm done buying basses. It's d*mn near perfect in every way. The neck is small, fast, extremely playable. I think my favorite thing about this bass is the bridge. It has this nice little pocket that cradles my hand like a mother nursing her child.

18. Passive Jay

Passive Jay

Aug 17, 2012

I just got lucky really. I was in guitar center looking for a cheap bass to learn on when I spotted this one hanging on the wall, I loved the way it looked so much that I spent waaaay over my planned budget but it was worth it.

picture! Poor lighting so you cant see how awesome silverburst is.

IMG_20120818_171843.

19. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    Nice work Jay, you'll love it.:bassist:

20. Bull. It teaches you a lot more than that.
    Rocksmith is an excellent learning and practice tool, especially for rank beginners. Certainly, if you want to be a serious musician, you'll want to use other resources as well, but RS is a decent and respectable start off point.