1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New to bass. I think I love it.

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by mexicanjesus, Nov 28, 2018.

1. 4

2. 5

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. mexicanjesus

mexicanjesus

Nov 28, 2018
    Greetings.

I love music, all music but I suck at playing. Played drums and trumpet in Jr high and high school but after living with my brother, he's got me into bass.

We have several guitars, a bass, drums, mixers, amps and probably anything else you need. He's played for 20 years and he gets mad when I play the bass with finger picks. Lol

Any advice for a new bass player??

G-Z likes this.
  2. How to get started?

Follow the chords and be happy with root-five until that becomes second nature.

Welcome to the bottom end.

3. GoLeafsGo

GoLeafsGo Not Quite Right! Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Whitby Ontario
    Just.....play! And enjoy making music.

Edit: And welcome to TB!

4. Picton

Picton

Aug 16, 2017
    Reading, MA
    Welcome!

Bass and I found each other after I’d played guitar, badly, for twenty years or so. It was an immediate match. Hopefully yours will be as good as mine.

There are no rules. If you’re most comfortable with a pick, play with a pick. If you want to stick with 4 strings, stick with 4 strings. Just stay joyful.

5. mexicanjesus

mexicanjesus

Nov 28, 2018
    Got a preamp today for my harmonica mic. Learning bass a little at a time.

Attached Files:

6. Hydro

Hydro

Dec 3, 2018
    Hey my dude! Congrats on starting to learn the coolest instrument ever! (Though, admittedly, I maaay be a little biased on that;))
    Honestly, all newbies are gonna...well...suck at first! Nobody starts off as an instant Geddy Lee! The thing that I used to drive myself when I first started was just thinking about what I was learning, and how I was moving along and loving the instrument. Comparing yourself to anyone else, esp in the beginning, will just mess up your confidence and interfere with your love of playing! People say to start off easy, which is true. You should start learning some songs that you love that are within your wheelhouse right now so you can make some accomplishments and get playing, but don’t let that limit you. Hell, the first bass solo I ever played was Freewill by Rush! It was way out of my skill set, and I’d only been playing for like two months but my music directors told me I was going to play the song at our upcoming show, and I sure as hell did, and it motivated me to improve a lot in a short period of time. Listen to lots of music with GOOD bass, as this will eventually influence your own style., I don’t know your music tastes, so I wouldn’t know what to recommend, but it sounds like your brother knows a lot, and i’m sure he’d love to give you some suggestions. I had a friend who made me a playlist of her favorite bass lines, and I still listen all the time. This isn’t the case with every instrument, but the quality of a bassist isn’t defined by how fast they can play. It’s how they play with the drums, weave in with the guitar, hold down a groove (etc), so not being a meggashredder doesn’t mean being a bad bassist, which is something people forget sometimes I think. Sorry for rambling, but I just get so pumped when I hear about another person falling in love with this amazing instrument! Good luck! keep us posted!