Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New to Bass, need a bit of help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FunkSkunk, Jan 7, 2003.

1. I have been playing drums for about 13 years, and my set will not fit in my dorm room at school. I still want to do something musical in my free time, so i decided to take up bass. This is not a fleeting decision, and i intend to explore bass as much as i have explored the drums. I want a decent bass for not much more than 250. I have been looking at
    the ibanez gsr200
    brice V2 4 string
    washburn xb100

but am looking for ANY other options, i want to find the BEST for the money, any help is apprecaited, thanks :)

2. and the yamaha rbx 260... :)

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Not too many choices in that range-what kind of music do you want to play? Or is there a sound you're looking for? The Essex Jazz is a great bass and it's under $150. Never tried the Brice version...

4. i am looking to play some funk, lots of jazz, maybe some rock. But regardless i want a bass that will hold me for a decent amount of time, i dont have to kind of flow to buy one again anytime soon.

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i'd say a used mim jazz bass would be a good bet

6. I agree with John T. Buy used at good value, so you can get your money back out of it when you want to try something else.

The best way to figure out what works for you (which will change as your skill develops and your taste changes) is to buy stuff that you can trade into other gear without much depreciation till you know exactly what your dream bass is.

Have fun,

Jonathan

7. Sinker

Sinker

Dec 4, 2002
    Newark, DE USofA
    I recently bought an '84 Peavey Foundation off of eBay. It's a good solid quality instrument, and it looks like it's never been played. I paid less than $250 including the shipping.

Just something to think about.

-Sinker-