Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New to bass, please help...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by JackofHearts, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Hello,

I'm pretty new to bass and am in need of help. I don't really know the nomenclature of the bass, so excuse my ignorance. I bought a bass from walmart. I know, not the best quality, but I figured it'd be something to learn on until I could afford a good one. Well, when I brought it home, I was tuning it, and broke the "A" string. I was aggravated, but I still wanted to play the bass so I just took off the string and played the bass with only the E, D and G. This was about a month ago. A few days ago, I finally was able to get a new A string. I strung it, but the problem is that I can only tune it to an F# or maybe even a G. After that, the string won't tighten anymore. If I continue to try to tighten it, the piece that the string coils around at the head of the bass pops and the string is much looser. I don't know what exactly is the problem or what I can do. I don't have any money, so if anyone could tell me a cheap way to fix this or even anyway to take care of it, I would be extremely grateful. Thank you very much.

2. Take it back to Walmart, and spend your money on an inexpensive Fender Jazz bass. Also, fill out your profile, that way someone can recomend a music store that is close to you. Most music stores will have "bass starter packages" that are far better that a Wlamart brand...take that bass back.
    Oh Yeah...Welcome to TALK BASS!!!!!

3. Thanks for the help and the "welcome".

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Yeah, I'm afriad you're out of luck on this one...You'd be surprised at how little you can get away with spending on a bass if you try. The budget choice of TB appears to be the SX bass, starting around 89 bucks, you'll get much more use and enjoyment. Check out the SX (Essex) megathread in 'Basses' for more information.

Otherwise, try to grab a used standard Fender...you should be able to fine one for around 150 bucks or so.

5. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

don't apolagize for the quality of your first instrument. Many a musiscian has had a humble first instrument. Mine was from JC Penny's. I was so thrilled that I played until it was to paiful to exist.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.

6. Thanks again to all. I will definately look into SX basses.