new to bass, string question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by christian21, Jan 25, 2002.

1. christian21

Jan 25, 2002
    Hi! I'm new here and to bass playing, i don't even have my bass yet but i'll get it sunday. I'm wondering how i can find out what strings i have on my bass because i want to exchange them someday and need to know the if they're .40 .45 etc.. I attached a picture but i've no idea if it will be any help :) Any suggestions for good(?) "beginner" strings ?
  2. I know I am not a mod, but this thread reffers to strings shouldn't this be in strings.:rolleyes:
  3. I agree, it should be in strings.
    Is that a Jay Turser bass??
  4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    The number associated with strings is the measurement of the string's diameter. A G string wouldn't measure .45 but actually .045 (as in 45/1000 of an inch) So the difference between a .040 and .045 is only 5/1000ths of an inch. In order to find out exactly, you'll need a machinist's caliper. After playing for 15 years, I can sort of tell just by looking at them and feeling them, but there is no way I could explain the different in words to someone with no reference point.

Once you get your bass and start playing, you'll have to decide what string you like best anyway, so I wouldn't worry over it for a while.

My suggestion for good beginner strings: The ones on the bass when you get it. After a couple of months of clanging on the thing, you'll have some idea if you want a lighter or heavier feel.

5. christian21

Jan 25, 2002
    Don't know if it's a Jay Turser, maybe some cheapo copy because i'm going to pay only 100€ for it. That MLD text thing is on the bass, it's not a sticker.. So maybe thats the company ?

ps. ontopic now, right ? ;)
  6. you can do what Chasarms said and use some calipers, or you can use a micrometer. I got the feel down too, I'm a machinist so I'm used to small mesurements and can pretty much look at them and tell what size they are.

yeah, once you figure out what sound and feel you're after, then you will have some choices to make. roundwounds, flatwounds, tapewounds, pressurewound, coated, nickleplated, cryogenicly frozen, the list is endless.
  7. Roundwound nickel's by Warwick ( yellow label ) !