Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New to bass/ Strings sound like tin.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by squizz_uk, Apr 16, 2002.

1. Hiya can any one help me i am new 2 bass and have just got my 1 and i love it, :D the only thing is that when i hit any string on #1 #2 #3 and sometimes #4 it sounds like i am hitting a tin can :( can any 1 tell me a way to stop then sounding like that???? plz help thanx alot.

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I have no idea what you mean.

Do you mean that the 1-4 relates to frets or strings?

Does tinny mean that the strings are buzzing (open or frets 1-4)?

Long shot-ref your other post you have no amp or are using a guitar amp, do you mean that the bass is clanky unamplified? (it will be ) or that its distorting with a guitar amp ? (it will do).

I will track this thread so we can work it out.

3. I mean when i hold the frets the strings just sound really bad as if they r hitting the metal bits of the frets, and no i am not using an amp, my mate who play the guitar said hit strings did it 2 but it just went away but it is not doing that 4 me.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Where's Lindfield when we need him??? :D :D

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Ok. Slow down. Insert some punctuation, and form coherant sentences. This is for your sake, as well as ours. If we can understand what you're talking about, we can better answer your question.

Aside from needing an amp, in order to hear yourself, you may need to adjust the neck, or have someone adjust it for you. It sounds like your strings are too close to the fretboard, or you have some backbow in your neck. Do a search for "neck relief" in the Setup forum, and use your discretion as what to do from there.

6. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Agree with the Duck-You could also fill in your profile.

Please give us some more info.What is the bass? How old?

Fret the big fat string at fret no 1 and with your other hand press the string onto the last fret. Now look at the 12 fret. Is there a gap? How big in mm (approx).

Now do the same for the thin string. Is there a gap? Is it vastly different to the other one?

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Are you actually hitting the strings, rather than plucking them? Hitting the strings, or "slapping", is a technicque that takes a while to perfect, and requires that your amp be set in such a way that it sounds acceptable. It will sound like suck-o-rama without an amp. Learn to play fingerstyle first. Slapping is for goobers, anyway.

I'd suggest getting a video for biginning bass players so you're not relying on some g****r players lame interpretation of how the bass is properly played.

Finally, please write like a human being. One that speaks English. My apologies if English is your second language. My condolences if it's not.