1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New to Bass

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by noco, Oct 27, 2013.

1. noco

noco

Oct 27, 2013
    Just picked up my first bass. I went to all the local stores and just couldnt get myself to buy a new one. I thought the easy choice was the Fender Jazz, but couldnt get myself to spend the money for a nice one. I ended up on Craigslist getting a 5 string 2007 Schecter Studio 5 for $350. Seems like a deal. I have a tiny practice amp but need something bigger. Im in the same boat with the amp. I just dont want to buy new. Any suggestions on an amp. I will be playing live music at some point, to help out a friend. Any amp suggestions would help. Thanks.

2. I'm not a gear head and believe beyond tone and how one amp sounds over another you pay for what you get. Everyone is in competition so no one makes junk and stays in business. You will need at least 150 watts to gig with. Fifteen inch speakers, input and output with headphone jacks.

Take your bass, a cable and go try out what you can afford. Make an afternoon of it and have fun.

They get heavy, one decision is will it fit in what you drive to gigs.

Other things you will need:
    A tuner.
    A strap.
    A bass stand.
    A music stand.
    A two wheeler to move all your stuff around.
    A set up on that used bass.
    A new set of strings.
    A how to play book.

For what it is worth IMO the few dollars more a local music store will charge is worth the customer service you will receive. I would not buy anything used that I could not try out first. All music stores take trade ins. They usually give 1/2 retail on trades then add a profit margin. Check out your local music stores they will have used equipment for sale. I would rather do business with a local merchant than someone on the Internet.

Good luck.

3. IMO my rig is a really good bang for the buck. I use a tech 21 sans amp RBI pre amp, swr power amp and ampeg classic 410he or 810e. Just make sure whatever power amp you get is a good match for whatever cab you get. For example the ampeg 410he is a 8 ohm cab. So if you get a low powered head or power amp youll be better off getting a small 4ohm cab instead

Sans amp RBI about $300 new (get a sans amp pedal if money is tight)

Power amp can be just about anything. ( i use the power section of an swr head i had sitting around)

Ampeg 410he can be found for $500-$600 new, ampeg 810e is about a $1,000 new but is much much cheaper used, I've seen the 810s sell for $200 at times because people don't have the vehicles to move them.

My rig is great for all styles. If i want to play rock or metal i set the blend on my sans amp so its about 60% wet/40% dry. If i want a dryer cleaner sound i just turn the blend knob down.

I was really Into swr, Eden, Mesa and more "high end" stuff for years but I've opened for dozens of signed rock/metal bands and they always have sans amps. Most use the BDDI, PSA, RBI, or RPM. Most of the bands you see using ampeg svt4 actually just use them as a power amp and use the sans amp as their pre amp instead of the pre amp on the ampeg head.

If you want to go all tube, which is another nice way to go. Check out peaveys all tube heads. They sound great and are much more affordable than an all tube svt or Mesa 400.

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Welcome to TalkBass!

Used Carvin and/or Peavey can ALWAYS be had at a screaming deal. If you were to check out our classified section you will find some good deals as well. I have found every TalkBass member I have ever done a deal with to be honest and easy to work with (and I have done about 10 TB deals now).

5. noco

noco

Oct 27, 2013
    Thanks for the feedback. Taking the bass with me is definitely a good idea whichever amp I buy.

6. noco

noco

Oct 27, 2013
    Ok... I ended up with a Neo212 and an mb500. I defiantly liked the 12's and having 2 of them. Plus I can add to the set instead of having to buy something different later. Im not really into buying and selling. I think it will be something that will last me until Jesus comes. I guess I should start practicing.