Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new to bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lateralus, Jul 21, 2002.

1. lateralus

lateralus Guest

Jul 21, 2002
    hello i am relatively new to bass and i know a few riffs but only own a guitar i want to start getting into bass and was wondering what good cheap bass is worth buying ive been looking at 3 basses
    the squire mb4 string 179 at musicians friend
    the fernandes tremor 4 standard 169 at musicians friend
    and the yamaha rbx 170 169 at musicinas friend
    are any of them worth getting if not could you name some that are and around the smae price any help would be apreciated
    Thank you for you time
    sorry for the bad grammar and spelling

2. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    Welcome to TalkBass!

I say go with the yamaha, but what feels best to you is right.

3. lateralus

lateralus Guest

Jul 21, 2002
    do you know what scale the yamaha is?
    thanx for your reply

4. lakerkobe

lakerkobe

Jun 17, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Not that I would know... but a lot of people seem to recommend the Essex Jazz copy at www.rondomusic.com for a cheap first bass.

5. I've got a 4 string MIM Jazz but I just picked up, for when I want to try my hand at fretless, an Essex 5 string fretless.

Considering I paid about $200 for it, with shipping, it's not too bad. Nothing obviously out of whack with it and it plays nice. The strings were a little high off the fretboard, but that might be from some standardized setting at the factory.

It's not a high end bass by any means but it's ok. The only thing that is a little irritating is a slight hum. But I figure I'll dive on into the guts of the thing and fix that. The fretboard is decent and feels good. All in all it's a decent bass. A bit lighter than the MIM Jazz and with a slightly thinner neck.

*shrug* it seems fine to me.

6. Out of the three basses you listed, I'd get the Yamaha RBX170. But, I'd probably save some more and get the RBX260.

Definetely check out the Essex jazz and P bass clones from Rondomusic.com. I got my jazz clone from them, $140 shipped, and it is a very nice bass, as good as any MIM Fender.

7. lateralus

lateralus Guest

Jul 21, 2002
    how much more is the rbx 260? because i realy dont have a lota cash right now (stupid divorce stuff)
    and im not realy digging the essex because of that cheap price and my friend told me the neck would probably bend or the frets wear down but thanx for your reply and could you recomend a good practice amp combo that has more then 15 watts
    have you played the essex?
    if so could u tell me what u think

8. as a proud owner of an essex, i say GET THE ESSEX. you really couldnt be disappointed, especially for the price. i got a jazz bass copy (BG150), and it is great. here, i'll give out the link again to get you started:

www.rondomusic.com

9. lateralus

lateralus Guest

Jul 21, 2002
    you realy like it? it seems alot heavier then the others but i realy like the fact that it has the noisless pic up look how long have you been playing it? are the frets worn down? is the neck bent?

10. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    bah. bah. bah. and bah... Squier Bass Pak... play the bass b4 buying the pak though:rolleyes:

11. its heavier just cause the body is ash. ive been playing it for about 3 months now. no, the frets are not worn, and no the neck is not bent. there is slight relief in the neck though, but thats how i like it. if you dont like the weight, try the other jazzes or precisions they have over at Rondo. the others have alder so its about 3 or 4 pounds lighter. i very highly recommend it, especially as a starter bass.

12. I got the SJB-62 Jazz bass. It is light weight alder body. The frets aren't worn and it takes a lot to wear down frets. My P bass is 5 1/2 years old, and is just barely starting to show some fret wear.

It neck will bend, but all necks bend. That is what the truss rod is for. I have no problems at all with my Essex. It is a great bass for a great price.

The RBX260 is still under $200. www.musiciansfriend.com carries them. They are better IMO than the 170 b/c the 170 is P, and the 260 is PJ. Either way, both are great basses for the $.

And like I said, I was stunned by the quality of the Essex, and IMO, it plays just as good as any MIM Fender, and for $200 less.

13. i'd get either the Yamaha RBX 260 or an Essex bass, and out of them two i'd get the Essex, not only do they seem to be great 'bang for the buck' but they are really upgradable, so you probly wouldn't need to buy another bass for a good few years.

*Si*

14. jieshi

jieshi

Mar 26, 2002
    Actually

why not look into something 2nd hand and in decent condition ????

essex seems good

yamaha too :)

15. lateralus

lateralus Guest

Jul 21, 2002
    but on musicians friend it said that thr rbx 260 is discontinued and no ones had any problems with the essex?
    im gunna go look at the music shops today
    maybe ill find something good

16. for the price of the essex, who COULD complain?