1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New to bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vikerlane, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Vikerlane

Vikerlane

Jul 23, 2012
    Hey.

I`m 37 years old newcomer to bass guitar world, so please forgive my newbieness :)
    (english is not my native language, ignore mistakes)

Low bass sounds is what i always liked and decided to learn some bass instrument. Bass guitar suits fine i quess...

Here is my first loved setup:

175_7598.

176_7604.

176_7605.

176_7606.

A Infinity is her name...cool. Sound quality is acceptable for my ears. Can you tell, what a copy of which instrument it is? Seems to be Epiphone Thunderbird body.
    Amp is 25w Vision and is pretty good for practice.

It`s like a first kiss. I`m so exited and dreaming when i can play this inspirational bass solo:
    Lovely :bassist:

2. scarab

scarab

Jul 25, 2012
    the neck looks like an altered fender, is that a custom or stock?

3. Vikerlane

Vikerlane

Jul 23, 2012
    probably stock.

4. frankieC

frankieC A swell guy from Warren Harding High

Jul 21, 2012
    That's a nice set up for a first bass, and with practice, that kind of laid back melodic bass run isn't that far away. Good luck with your new hobby.

5. Vikerlane

Vikerlane

Jul 23, 2012
    Big thanx for your input.

6. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I started at 39 (I'll be 50 in Nov) and it was one of the best decisions in my life thus far. Happy thumpin'!

7. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    Nice... how's she for neckdive? (do you feel if you stand up with it you need to keep the neck from falling?)

I started at 23 - I'd recommend it to anyone, just keep good posture and do a little warmup & warmdown for you hands and arms. Also shoulders... 16 or 86 those hands don't like repetitive motion for too long... obviously arthritis and other conditions can make it utterly impractical :bawl:.

Check some of these out (Better to know and avoid problems): http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f21/health-related-issues-playing-593009/

Also these people:

Have fun (sorry for the heavy stuff, it's good to keep in mind).

8. Vikerlane

Vikerlane

Jul 23, 2012
    There was some neckdiving issue before.Then moved straplock button down center on metal plate and now it`s stable.
    Looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    Upper, original strap button is still there only for filling screw hole.

Thanks for these health care suggestions. I do some finger streching before playing and general sports(running, bicycling, weight lifting etc.) for better physical condition.

9. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    Cool stuff. I hope it serves you well. One more thing: Fret lightly. I found it made playing more fluid, accurate and cleaner sounding: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoHEqQzbGAc

Made my think and play with less fatigue and tension, especially with the thumb. ;)

10. Vikerlane

Vikerlane

Jul 23, 2012
  11. Vikerlane

Vikerlane

Jul 23, 2012
    I just discovered that my Infinity bridge pickup not working :rolleyes: I had precision bass some time i quess :D
    But i fortunately found that the pickup to pot wire was broken. Took neck pickup off, fixed wire and reinstalled it . The sound is more intresting and adjustable now.
    Also did pickup slots and pot slot shielding with aluminium tape (cant find copper tape anywhere)
    I`m happy with this basshorse now.

12. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Welcome to talkbass, vikerlane. that's a nice looking thunderbird clone you got there. I use to own a musicman clone made by a company called arbor. it was a pretty cool sounding bass. sound just like a sterling by musicman(even though it's passive). right now I play schecter stiletto basses and Ibanez soundgear basses. anywho, if you needed some advice on bass gear, don't hesitate to ask.

13. Vikerlane

Vikerlane

Jul 23, 2012
    Thank you Crystalman.
    I think i have allmost all neccecary gear for quality bass learning. Behringer bxl3000a amp is coming next week, i have Zoom b2 effect pedal (nice effects, tuner and very helpful drum machine)

14. soulman969

soulman969 SUSPENDED

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    Yep, it's a facsimile of a Gibson or Epiphone Thunderbird with a little different headstock profile. That bass and you amp should get you off the ground nicely.

Get comfortable with proper technique before anything. Bass can be very frustrating and tiring if your technique isn't solid. Correct positioning of the thumb, wrist and fingers for maximum efficiency is primary. That's the first thing I teach beginners.

Next learn the fret board notes on every string from the first to the fifteenth fret. Then scales and meter (timing). Once you master that your half way home. Learn to play along with some of your favorite songs and have some fun with it. Get excited.

Welcome to the low end. :)

15. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    4 String fever!
    Never too old to Rockn'Roll

16. Vikerlane

Vikerlane

Jul 23, 2012
    Good advices Soulman.
    I have allready experienced dull fingers after longer practice. Need to shake and relax arm, then can play again.

My current Vision 25W amp seems to be little weak by now (can still use it when needed to go places where cant transport big amp)... I ordered Behringer bxl3000a (aluminium cone) amp. that beast will fly me to the moon i hope :)