Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New to Basses: Washburn T12 or Squire Affinity J?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hunter1985, May 23, 2005.

1. hunter1985

hunter1985

May 23, 2005
    Hey all, newbie here looking to buy his first bass. This site has been an invaluable resource on my quest to take the plunge, so congrats to the admins.

I have finally narrowed my search down to two basses within my price range: the Washburn T12 and a Squire Affinity J Base (used). I enjoy the aesthetics of the Squire, but the neck seemed thinner and more playable on the Washburn. I thought I would ask the help of the experience players here which they thought was better (sound, forgiveness, etc.) for a beginner. Any thoughts? Also, if you think there is a better bass out there, keep in mind I will only pay $225 or less as my budget dictates. Oh, and if it makes any difference my main influence on getting into bass is the funky slap-stylings of Victor Wooten.

Cheers!

2. I say get rid of the Squire idea and have a look at an Essex.

I haven't played one myself, but everyone here seems to love them.

Bass Player magazine reviews one of the new Washburn's (I think it was the T14) not long ago and they seemed to like it alright.

3. hunter1985

hunter1985

May 23, 2005
    Thanks for the input, I have heard a lot of good things about Essex', it's just I'm a bit apprehensive about not being able to try the bass out before I buy it, I want to make sure it feels right before I plunk down the cash.

4. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    At that price level, it's not so important to try out a lot of basses. If you're totally new to the instrument, you might not have enough experience to really know what you're looking for. My advice is to take others' advice and get an SX.

5. hunter1985

hunter1985

May 23, 2005
    OK, it would be nice to save some cash, especially if the bass is better, the only problem now is I've been reading a lot about the Essex BG-150, yet it is nowhere to be found online. Unless I'm missing something on rondomusic.net, where can I find this bass?

6. hunter1985

hunter1985

May 23, 2005
    Thanks for all your help, guys, I finally up and purchased my first bass today from RondoMusic, the SX SJB-62MG in all its sex-ay Lake Placid Blue glory. At that price, I'm saving $100 over the Washburn, getting a J-base with better build quality, so I'm quite happy, as is my wallet. Thanks again for the help.

7. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Enjoy the bass, dude. Definitely get a fresh set of strings and take it in for an initial set-up. Such is a good thing to do whenever you buy a bass.