1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New to be DJ5 setup

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by chadhargis, Nov 3, 2013.

1. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Just picked up a Lakland DJ5 in trade and performed by new bass ritual.

I shielded the pickup & control cavities with copper foil and properly grounded them. The bass didn't make any noise (outside of the single coil noise if the pickups weren't balanced), but I like knowing it's shielding correctly. I also removed the bridge and made sure the bridge ground was making good contact. It was fine, but I plopped a big piece of copper tape over it just to make sure.

I used a meter to make sure there was continuity to everything. It's all tip top.

I put on a fresh set of D'Addario balanced XLs. First time I've ever used a balanced set, and boy, I'm sold! Great feel! I've always loved nickel XLs, so the tone was no surprise.

I set the neck relief to .008" at the 6th fret. Set the saddle heights to my liking. Set the pickup height, then intonated.

A fantastic sounding and playing bass. Very pleased!

My 55-02 now has another Lakland to keep it company.

IMG_0746_zpse7340b8e.

2. Bardolphus

Bardolphus Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Love my DJ5, just a great bass! I shielded mine and went with an Audere pre.

a7c0847c-7da9-4648-bfec-a01a23091619_zps63de21dd.

3. chadhargis

Jan 5, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Nice bass!! :)

I have a 55-02 to satisfy my active bass needs. I wanted the DJ for that passive 60's Jazz bass vibe. It's just awesome. The Hanson pickups are the best passive jazz pickups I've ever heard. Nice and round with even tone. Most jazz basses sound too scooped for my liking. These are just perfect.

4. Bardolphus

Bardolphus Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Agreed on the Hanson pups, I like 'um. I've ended up leaving the Audere set flat 99% of the time which is supposed to yield the same tone as passive (my ears agree with this). I wasn't sure about the DJ at first coming from a couple of Sadowsky Metro vintage-styled basses but I'd take my DJ any day over what I've had.

Congrats on the new bass!

5. chadhargis

Jan 5, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I'm absolutely blown away by the DJ. Lakland Skyline basses have always been very good to me. I know some folks have had an issue or two, but I've never had anything but good luck with mine. Can't find a fault with either my 55-02 or my DJ5.