Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New to computer recording

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by bas_anton, Jun 15, 2004.

1. I´m thinking of buying some stuff so I can record some music.
    I wan´t to use a Mbox for audio and a little USB MIDI interface for some sort of synth.
    The thing is first of all I need a new computer. I have a 400mhz with 64mb memory and I wan´t to use Cubase SX.
    How fast and how much memory do I need to get a good recording computer? Do I need more than 160gb? Is there anything else i need to think about when buying these stuff? I´m totally new to this!

2. davepack

davepack Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Here's my setup that I'm having pretty good luck with:
    AMD Athlon 1400
    1 gig ram
    80 gig HD
    Keep the computer simple, only install the operating system and what you need to record with.
    My audio interface is an Aardvark Direct Pro 24/96
    It's a great piece of equipment. All the inputs you need, built-in class-A mic pre's, phantom power, and comes with a nice "mixer" type software interface to control it.
    For recording software I'm using N-Track Studio. It's pretty simple and intuitive, easy editing features, accepts all the standard effects plugins...takes a little tweaking to record multiple tracks at the same time.
    I'm getting a GREAT bass tone by running my bass direct through a SansAmp Bass Driver DI, then straight into the Aardvark.
    Hope that helped!
    -Dave

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Take a look at the steinberg site for recommended specs for Cubase SX, not minimum. M-audio, Emu, Digi all make kickass computer interfaces. If your buying a new PC get the fastest hard drive access time you can.