New to computer recording

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by bas_anton, Jun 15, 2004.

1. I´m thinking of buying some stuff so I can record some music.
    I wan´t to use a Mbox for audio and a little USB MIDI interface for some sort of synth.
    The thing is first of all I need a new computer. I have a 400mhz with 64mb memory and I wan´t to use Cubase SX.
    How fast and how much memory do I need to get a good recording computer? Do I need more than 160gb? Is there anything else i need to think about when buying these stuff? I´m totally new to this!
  2. davepack

davepack Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Here's my setup that I'm having pretty good luck with:
    AMD Athlon 1400
    1 gig ram
    80 gig HD
    Keep the computer simple, only install the operating system and what you need to record with.
    My audio interface is an Aardvark Direct Pro 24/96
    It's a great piece of equipment. All the inputs you need, built-in class-A mic pre's, phantom power, and comes with a nice "mixer" type software interface to control it.
    For recording software I'm using N-Track Studio. It's pretty simple and intuitive, easy editing features, accepts all the standard effects plugins...takes a little tweaking to record multiple tracks at the same time.
    I'm getting a GREAT bass tone by running my bass direct through a SansAmp Bass Driver DI, then straight into the Aardvark.
    Hope that helped!
  3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Take a look at the steinberg site for recommended specs for Cubase SX, not minimum. M-audio, Emu, Digi all make kickass computer interfaces. If your buying a new PC get the fastest hard drive access time you can.