1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New to Effects - Advice on Purchase

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Snerek, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Snerek

Snerek

Jan 12, 2007
    so now that i have the bass & amp i want, i would like to purchase some effects.

i have not ever used any effects before but i have a general idea as to what i'm looking for.

however i need advice for those who have been through this process before. should i go with a multi (digitech bp80/zoom b21u) effects pedal for starters, see how that goes, and then individualize with separate pedals.

i like the simplicity of the multi and they both have positives and negatives.

here is a list i made off the top of my head of effects i think i would like:
    octave
    chorus
    loop
    env fliter
    flanger
    phaser
    wah

let me know what you guys think.

thanks,Derek

2. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    You'll find that most of the "experinced" effects users on this forum prefer to have seperate pedal for each effect. This allows us to pick and choose the EXACT sound we want from each one - not all pedals of the same type sound alike - and what order we want them in.

If you're sure about which effects you want, you could jump right in and start buying (researching and testing before actually purchasing, of course).

If you're still not sure what sounds you really want, buying a multi-fx unit is not a bad way to start. Be aware, however, of the limitations of a multi. You are stuck with just the sounds contained in that box and the order and combination limits of the unit. There's nothing wrong with a multi-fx unit at all, but most "serious" effects users find them too limiting.

Whatever path you take, be sure to make good use of the search function in this forum. Whatever you're thinking about, someone else has probably already discussed. If you have a question that you're not finding an answer to, please ask.

Happy hunting! :)

3. BassProle

BassProle

Jul 2, 2007
    Hi dude!

Personally, im against having a shed load of effects just to look awesome. If you think that you will actually use those pedals in a gigging situation, then go for it! But otherwise youre just wasting pennies that you could save and put towards something else....

I started with a Boss ME50B and was blown away by it, but then again it seriously intimidated me as it did 1001 things and i only used the tuner and chorus live, while the rest of fx were used to put my band mates off in practices!!

Now I use single pedals of an inline tuner, distortion pedal, chorus pedal, an on / off for my sub (octivider) and a compressor. My compressor gets turned off once every other song, and the rest I use sparingly. I sold the multie fx pedal and bought semi decent single pedals. I think they are alot easier to use and you can get to grips with them more.

Saying that though, im sure the more experienced guys on this forum will argue that the multi pedals are just as easy to use, so i think its about personall choice!

Im not against bassists using fx per say, but just thinking about of those fx youve listed above, how many are you ACTUALLY going to use?

Hope this helps and good luck!!

4. 343 Salty Beans

343 Salty Beans

Jan 24, 2006
    I started with a good multi (the two you listed are good, esp. the Zoom B2, but I started with a Boss ME-50B). Then, once I decided what I liked about effects and which ones could enhance the way I played bass, I started to transition to single effects, which I'm still in the process of doing.

5. vtwo

vtwo

Dec 16, 2006
    Connecticut
    A "New to effects? LOOK HERE" should be stickied.

6. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I'm sure it will be just as effective as the "Do A Search Before Posting" sticky. ;)