Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New to effects, building my new setup (advice, comments welcome)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tim Cole, Mar 19, 2004.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Well, after many years of zero effects, I decided for the heck of it to go ahead try some different things out. I have no idea on what order to put these in, other than the obvious....tuner and volume pedal up front. Here is what I have so far to go on it, I think I am about done buying what I need: I've already modified the pedalboard, by making a step riser for the front row......It is exacly one rackspace in width and heigth, I made it this way to accomodate my shure rackmount wireless.....pretty cool, and useful design me thinks.

Going on: Modified NYC standard 24 case
    1 Ernie Ball mono volume
    2 Boss TU-2
    3 Boss Bass chorus
    4 Boss ODB-3
    5 EH bass balls
    6 Eden navigator footswitch (midi controlled, not through the signal chain)
    7 Also using RCA power strip, and Boss daisy chain to run off of the Tu-2 to power the other Boss effects.

2. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Not everyone at once, please!!!!

I've decided to off the bassballs, and go with the q-tron.

3. Indigo

Indigo

Feb 19, 2004
    Örebro, Sweden
    Well, I´d say...try out many different combinations, and you´ll probably find out what works best for you. The TU-2 first, I´m with you there. But the volume pedal, doesn´t that go last? Or am I thinking wrong here? What does the Eden thing do?

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    You can put the volume wherever you want. At the end of your signal chain it will allow you to have consistent tone into the effects and only adjust the actual input to your amplifier (i.e. louder signal from your instrument will cause more effect from a pedal than a quiet signal) or if you place it in front of an effect like distortion, it will act kind of like a gain control, causing more or less overdrive.

I would probably put the chorus later in the chain as well, unless you want a fat, muddy distortion. As far as the Q-tron, wherever you want. I would do in this order:

Boss TU-2 -> Boss ODB-3 -> Q-Tron -> Boss CEB-3 -> EB Volume

and obviously since the Eden is midi, it isn't part of your chain, so just put it wherever it fits. Good luck and take pics when you're done!

5. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Thanks, I am still waiting on the OD, and now the Q-tron to show up, then it will pretty much be done for now. The eden is just a remote control for the preamp functions, mute, compressor bypass, turbo boost, and enhance bypass.

6. If you happen to find a setting on the Q-tron that doesn't up you volume too much, let me know, 'kay?! I've had mine for a while now, and the reason I've taken it out of my chain is because of the volume spike when you activate it. There are two pretty frisky controls in Peak and Gain, and they seem to do different things in Normal/Boost/Drive modes. Get the directions and memorize them. When I used it during an entire song without having to switch back and forth, it was freaking awesome.

I'm not sure if putting a limiter or compressor after it would solve this problem. I've got a rack compressor, and it didn't seem to make all that much difference. Have fun.