1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New to effects - post-search question on signal path

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Engine207, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time.

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    I just got my first few effects and didn't know the proper way to hook them up. So, I hit the sticky in this forum and was directed to a few pages that discuss it.

From the GM Arts page: Typically, from guitar to amplifier, the order is:
    1. filter effects
    2. compressors
    3. overdrives/distortion
    4. equalizers
    5. pitch effects
    6. modulation effects
    7. level controllers
    8. echos
    The problem is, effects are so foreign to me, I don't know where to classify my new stuff!!

I have:
    • ElectroHarmonix MicroPog (Is an octaver considered a pitch or a modulation effect?)
    • Korg DT-10 (No mention of where to put the tuner)
    • BBE Sonic Stomp (Is a "sound maximizer" considered a level controller?)
    • Line6 XDS95 wireless system
    I'm guessing the wireless receiver would need to be first in line, then the tuner, the MicroPog and finally the Sonic Stomp.

Any ideas or thoughts are appreciated.

2. SnakeKappele

SnakeKappele

Sep 20, 2010
    Sounds like you've got it!

Don't be afraid to move things around and hear what happens. I put my EBS BassIQ at the end of my chain right before the reverb.

3. About the only thing I can say is that I like dirt before modulation (but modulation for me is a chorus); I put my clean boost first in line (I use them to compensate for different bass output lvls); and asking where to put the tuner will generate PAGES of different opinions and pointy suggestions to use the search (I put my tuners last so I can mute the whole chain with it, btw). I'm a big help this morning, aren't I...

And +1 on trying different placements.

4. I think the GM Arts POV on this is for guitars and I think bass requires a different approach.

This is how I order effects for my bass (IMO of course): Bass>Tuner>Octave>Fuzz>Distortion>Filter>Modulation>Amp.

5. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    You have to experiment and figure it out for yourself.

Also, I would say that the GM Arts page info doesn't work for most bassists. Pitch is pretty much always first to avoid tracking issues and the order of OD/dist/fuzz + filter depends entirely on personal preference, even more so than everything else.

The mPOG is a pitch effect because it gives your instrument a large, static pitch shift. Though some modulation could also be considered pitch effects (vibrato, chorus and flanging work by changing your instruments pitch), they are not typically static (they operate off an LFO) and the pitch shift is not anything near a large interval (usually just a couple cents).

A Sonic Maximizer is basically an EQ. Tuner placement depends on tracking issues caused by other pedals, how well your other pedals react to a buffer, and if you're using it as a tuner + mute. Wireless system depends if you want a string attaching you to your board or a string attaching your board to your amp.

6. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time.

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    Yeagh, I use the crap out of search (hence the post's title) and even read the FAQ, so I'm not into the "pointy suggestions".

Doesn't the tuner mute the signal when stomped, even if it's first? I thought (but like I said...I'm a newbie) to put it first so it can receive a clean signal to evaluate for pitch. I'll surely try different combinations to see if there is any difference.

I forgot to mention that I also have a footswitch for my Marshall, which is used to switch between its Modern and Classic channels, as well as activating the Blend feature. That shouldn't affect the chain - only the pedalboard itself, since it connects directly to the head.

7. Eric!

Eric! Commercial User

Jan 22, 2009
    America's High-Five
    Mojo Hand FX
    I also like amp-emulators/preamps/etc (a la Rusty Box, SFT, etc) near the end of my chain. I've been running tuner>fuzz>chorus>preamp>delay and it's killer!