1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New to Effects. Some Questions.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by baddarryl, Nov 9, 2018.

1. baddarryl

baddarryl Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    Hi all. I have accumulated a few in addition to a VT Bass DI. I am wondering what order to put these and I will attach a pic of the ones I currently have. Our use the big muff and then distortion together for tone at times. Let me add that most times I will be rolling through an amplifier and I only have the VT Bass for occasion that being will be disconnected most of the time. When it is connected do I put it at the front, middle or the back of the chain?

Another question is the effects loop on my SVT three pro a viable option to run these into? And what is the advantage of that? If I do that I am assuming I would run the preamp into the preamp out of the amp if using the amp and not a DI?

Sorry for so many questions as I have little experience with this. I did do a search, but did not really find answers to my specific questions. I accumulated most of the stuff recently and have not really played with it. Thanks..

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    ToddOfThunder likes this.
  2. baddarryl

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    4650E373-E759-4402-AC43-A8DF3901016B.

ToddOfThunder likes this.
  3. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

There’s no right or wrong order. But some arrangements work better than others depending on what you’re looking to accomplish. Start with this article for the basics and some suggestions to get you started.

4. Das Jugghead

Das Jugghead

Oct 28, 2015
    Indiana
    Okay I will state what I would do and hopefully those with far more insight and experience will chime in to correct my plan.

TU3
    TLC Compressor
    VTBassDI
    Big Muff Pi
    Flanger

Not sure what the red pedal is.

Try switching the pedal order to see what kind of sounds and tone you can create - discovery is half the fun.

5. saabfender

saabfender Banned

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Right. Combine them this way and that. Get a Y-cable or two and go nuts.

Das Jugghead and ToddOfThunder like this.
  6. baddarryl

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    Electronix MessDrive Dist/Fuzz pedal.

7. baddarryl

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    Thanks for that!!

8. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

You’re welcome.

I’m just glad I didn’t have to type all that.

baddarryl and saabfender like this.
  9. happycamper

happycamper Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2011
    I think the advice of "try different things and see what you like" is the best advice but...I know it can be a pain to unplug connectors and power supply and yada yada so do I understand wanting a starting point. I would say if you were using the vt all the time, start with it in the back as if it were a head but if you're just using it for dirt, to the front it goes IMO. I also like my compressors after dirt so I can get more touch response but not all dirt pedals like that and it depends on the amount of compression you're using. I would try as a starring point.
    tu3 vt dist bmp tlc flanger
    Good luck and let us know what you settle on!