new to effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by undertow, Jan 18, 2003.

1. undertow

Nov 30, 2002
    ive been looking at effects lately and i had a couple of questions

what would be a good pedal for a lot of distortion and fuzziness (i dont know if that is the work but something that would be for hard rock tool kind of music)

would you prefer a multi effects or a single

im lookin for something fairly cheap too
  2. Hello.

Electro-Harmonix Big Muff is said to be good at getting lots of Distortion and Fuzz (Cliff Burton anyone?) Another pedal that you could try would be the BOSS ODB-3 pedal.

If your looking for something cheap I would recommend single effects because we all know that multi-effects processors are expensive. Also, just because they have a lot of effects, it doesn't mean that they will have the best sound. They have to concentrate on a lot of effects, so in some cases it's better to get a singlie effects.

That's my two cents.

3. bassochist

Dec 28, 2002
    yeah go single effects always.
    cuz the multieffects just dont cut it for quality
    (that boring old quantity quality crap actually holds true for this matter)

as far as a good pedal for it i would guess maybe...

i use the ibanez Phathed bass overdrive thingy for my fuzz and all...
    its alright...
    i think the problem is more my piece of crap i call a bass
  4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I have to disagree with the previous comments.
    SInce you're new to effects and don't know jack about them, I'd recommend a cheap multieffect unit.
    The Digitech BP200 is decent, but if you can find a used Korg AX-1 B or AX-300 B you'll have a much better unit at disposal.
    I've heard good stuff about the Zoom 708-II but haven't tried it yet. THe first version is not to be remembered.
    For cheap you'll have more effects than you'll ever need and you'll be able to experiment.
    From there you'll be able to :
    - Get used to all types of effects and their use.
    - Make a selection of effects you really dig and buy the corresponding individual boxes.
    - Decide effects are for wimps and never come back to them again.
    - Realize you're an effect freak and get a monster multieffect unit.
    - Keep your cheapo unit because you think it's enough.
  5. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    For distortion on bass on the cheap I'd recommend the RAT, the Big Muff, or the Boss ODB-3 (IIRC). If you want to be able to continue playing the way you would undistorted but just add grind and fzz the Boss is cool because of the blend control and EQ. However the actual distortion sound is rather cold and nasty but it has its place. The Big Muff lacks attack and bottom but with careful tweaking it sounds gorgeous but IMO it's more of a funky fuzz than a big rock distortion. I've only briefly used the RAT with bass but it's sort of halfway between the two sonically.

If all you want is distortion, go for some single analogue pedals. By all mean get a cheap multi-FX if you want more effects and don't know which, but all the multi-FX I've ever used were rather dodgy at distortion (even if they were great at everything else).