Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New to flatwounds....suggestions?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Musik Meister, Mar 22, 2002.

1. Hey what are good flatwounds? I want to stay the same guage as my stock fender jazz bass but i don't know what gauage that is. help me. thanks.

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    A set of Fender 9050MLs would probably be as good of a start as any - I prefer the 9050Ms, but I like jumper cables for strings.

3. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I use Lakland Joe Osborns. I order them directly from www.lakland.com
    Doc

4. I`ve got the GHS Brites on my Danelectro and think they sound super!

Many members swear by the TI Jazz Flats though.
    :cool:

5. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Give the LaBella Black Nylon Flatwounds a try first. They are smooth, very smooth like flats...but much better.

They feel like flatwounds. They are not too loose, nor too tight. Some flats are very tight...like playing a steel rod...others are so flexible after being strung up that they are wet noodles or rubber bands. The LaBella BNT seem to be right in between. They are absolutely the best string FOR ME.

They have more punch, more fundamental on the D and G strings and yet the other night while playing I did this popping on my G string as I am prone to do on a couple of the songs we do...forgetting I now had (for all intents and purposes) "flatwounds"...and they still had a very bright sound.

Very distinctive string. The only thing they lack is that annoying metallic clicking and clanging of roundwounds.

IMHO...they are better than roundwounds AND flatwounds. Very cool string. Anyone who is thinking of switching from roundwounds to flatwounds should try these first as they are not as dull sounding as flats, yet still give you that great flatwound boom...but with more definition and clarity.

Best of all, they are fairly cheap. You can get a set from Carvin for I think around $29.00 (for a five string...cheaper still for a four).

6. I really like Thomastick-Infeld flats but they are very low tension.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yeah, the Thomastiks are slinky, but they are by far the best flats I've heard. They take a little "getting used to." I've got 'em on my Pedulla T-bolt fretless. They're very bright and toneful. Killer.

I have the Lakland Osborn flats on my fretless 55-94, and they're a good string, but they don't sing like the Thomastiks. They have a little more thump, but they're not dead-sounding like the Fenders. (Dead is not necessarily bad, some people like that sound.)

8. Only ones I've tried were TI's (because everyone told me to) and the Fender 9050 MLs (because they were cheap). I really liked the TI sound, but they were really too loose for my liking. I really like the 9050's, but I'm fixing on going out and getting a bunch of flats to just try them all out.

9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Try the 9050Ms - major tone! I've discovered I prefer the heaviest strings I can find.

10. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Thomastik Jazz Flats sound wonderful but I personally don't like the low tension. The Flat that seems to work for me, all things considered,are the D'Addario Chromes. Good thump,fairly bright, medium tension,available everywhere.

11. i've settled on d'adarrio chromes. like others, the ti strings are great, but too loose for my tastes. besides, the chromes come in standard long scale which fit my 34" zon just fine. some other makers only have one winding length. by the time i was done winding the e string, the metal was bent around the tuner.

12. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I like the labella deep talkin' flats for my fretless and the Thomastik jazz flats for my fretted.

13. I love Rotosound 77s. They're very bright and responsive for flatwounds. They are superb on a fretless bass. Nice sustain.

Mike J.

14. I use GHS medium gauge flats. they're fairly high tension, but good thump. you'll have to adjust your truss rod to use these.

15. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    My first venture into flatwounds was Rotosound 77s. I favour the 66s from Roto for roundwounds, so thought I'd give their flats a try. Good strings, though I'm not sure that I'm into flatwounds - they sound funny!!!

16. SlapDaddy

SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    TI flats...like a train on a silk track!

17. Jman

Jman

Mar 24, 2000
    Waterport,NY
    Pyramid Golds are the choice for me.They cost more but well worth it for the longevity and the tone.