Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new to forum. a few p-bass pickup questions

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by xJasonSmithx, Jun 25, 2003.

1. xJasonSmithx

xJasonSmithx Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    i just recently bought a standard american p-bass (rosewood/alder) and im wating to upgrade the electronics. right now i play the p-bass and a stingray 5 and the stringray is just running circles around the p-bass. ive been thinking about upgrading the pickups and adding a raven labs p-bass preamp but i have a few questions.

i play all different styles of music so i want to stick to the p-bass sound but give it the bigger sound and low end punch of my stingray.

what are some pickup sugestions for that kinda sound?

would it be a better idea to get new pu's first or the preamp or just go for both at once?

also is there a big difference in humbuching p-bass pickups and single coil ones?

i would really appreciate you guys advice on this subject because there are so many options out there and im kinda lost in the middle of them all.

thanks, jason

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I have a '96 MIA P and the pickup is very nice... I have put a Raven P-RetroFit in my '78 Musicmaster with fantastic results! I highly recommend it... If I found my P-Bass lacking at all, I would go with the Raven first. Easy install also...

-robert

3. The Stingray is active, so it will always be MUCH louder. If that is what you mean by running circles around your P, then a Raven or East preamp will boost your P.

The "vintage" pickups in the P have lower output, but they have the P "thump". This is the big attack and rapid decay that sounds similar to plucking an upright bass. Changing pickups for hotter models will cause the loss of the "thump".

I've been down this road with Duncan Hot P, and the DiMarzio DP146 Will Power Middle that is installed in my bass at this time. The Duncan was very loud and brazen in the mids, but with no thump at all. The same as cranking the Mids control all the way up on your amp. Not my tone at all. The DiMarzio is also much louder and aggressive sounding, but also has no thump. I bought a Duncan Vintage P but have not yet installed it. This pickup is reputed to thump for days, according to those who own it.

You have a Stingray to give you the grinding, aggressive tone. I bought a G&L L1500 for the same reason. My suggestion is leave the P sounding like a P (thumpy) and use the Stingray when you need grind. The MIA P pickup is supposed to be pretty good on its own. My stock pickup was a MIM and just didn't seem to have it, even though it did "thump."

4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Bruce, I'll be interested to hear your reaction to the SPB-1. I haven't played mine for a while, since that bass is taken apart right now, as I sloooowly strip and refinish the body.

5. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    I agree w/ Bgavin.