1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New to fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Raven nevermore, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Okay, here is my first impression of my 4 -string fretless which i just received via UPS about two hours ago. It is a LOT of fun and I love the "mwah" ! I definitely need more practice on it, but if you are a more experienced player the transition isn't so hard, or not at least as hard as folks on the internet make it seem. Today is Monday and I totally plan to use it in the try out for the (working) band I want to join this upcoming Saturday. I guess the point of this post is to say don't be discouraged or intimidated by all the things you read. Go for it , try new things it's the only way you can learn !!

2. Dakotah

Dakotah

Dec 21, 2011
    Port Richey,FL
    Found fretless easier with no buzz as I was getting on my ibanez.Prefer it now and didn't think it unusually difficult to pick up.Sound is not as sharp tho and may not be suitable for some venues however the range of notes is unlimited,not restricted to the frets.

3. second night report... even more used to it, probably not up to pro standards, but i am ready for this weeks audition. been having fun playing old songs i know with mwahs and vibratos included !! :) Now I need to find a five string fretless !!

4. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    Sounds like fun. I've been looking to try this for a while... gonna get some more experience under my fingers first... :bassist:

5. tabdog

tabdog

Feb 9, 2011
    I picked it up a few months ago.
    I spend much more time fretless
    than fretted now.

It was an easy transition for me
    as well,

Tabdog

6. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    Coming from fretted bass and upright bass, it was pretty easy for me to transition to fret less electric. Although, I only use my fretless live for outdoor gigs where the weather is severely questionable (threatening rain/snow/freezing temps), because that bass is a giant POS and I don't want my nice ones ruined...

It's still fun/easy to mess around on though!

7. bass night 4. having so much fun ! Should have done this years ago !!

8. Stayed home today to play bass and warcraft.Watched the Tony Franklin fretless bass instructional video. picked up how to capture a harmonic !! Havin" fun! I hope that audition I'm supposed go to tomorrow happens. Mind you this is the third week in a row it was supposed to happen sooo...

9. ian_s

ian_s

Jul 10, 2009
    Glad to read your experiences. I have a defret-in-progress ... defret done, all parts and strings ready, no time ... and I am excited to try it out.

10. Sigh, all fretlessed up and nowhere to go! This band has been hollering about how they need a bass player and every weekend I'm waiting on them ! The only thing wrong with playing music is musicians. Why cant' we be on time and do what we say we will ?

11. Okay, approximately two weeks into 4 string fretless and I just just now picked up my 6 string fretted for the first time since then, and I have to say my fretted playing is so much better now ! Anyone else experience that ?