Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New to gigging amps.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Underdog, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Underdog

Underdog

Apr 10, 2005
    Tennessee
    Hello. Newb to gigging bass here, need to grasp a small understand and need a few things cleared up for me.

I like my high's in my bass. Alot. And no, I'm not a failed guitarist, bass was my first instrument. I don't like running my highs through my 15" woofer and want to install a small tweeter in the excess room, but I do not know how to get the tweeter to only use the high-ranges and the woofer to only use the mids and lows. I know some sort of filter is needed to send the correct signals to the correct part, but I don't know where to get one or how to make one.

Also, I do not know how to make the voltage split up, so I can send just 40 watts to the tweeter. Any ideas on this matter?

Now. I also don't understand the term "Bi-amping". Explaining this could help me alot.

Any help you have would be appreciated, thank you!

2. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Get yourself a GK 700RBII or 1001RBII and either two GK Neo 112's or a GK Neo 212 and you will be set.

The GK heads have a seperate amp for the tweeter that they use to power the tweeters on their cabs. So the woofer has one independant amp and the tweeter has another independent amp.

Yes, with seperate volume controls.

That is biamping.

Now, if you really want to add a tweeter to your existing cab (yeah, you will save alot of money) you can instal a hi-power L-pad and a capacitor to filter the signal before the tweeter for the crossover. It might work for you just fine.

But that kind of stuff should be answered by someone else. My knowledge is pretty basic about cab building/modifying.

:D

Joe.

3. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Talk to Dave at Avatar Speakers. He's a real nice guy and will tell you about crossovers (what you need).