1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New to gigging/recording, combo amp or head/cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tylerwylie, Apr 14, 2009.

1. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    I'm new to the gigging scene, and when I'm rehearsing with people my 50W Ampeg BA112 doesn't hold up now. I'm looking to upgrade to something I can move around to rehearse, and gig with. I can't decide between a head/cabinet, or a big beefy combo amp. The kind of tones I like to get vary greatly, from stuff like Tool to Pink Floyd, so I'd like to be able to get a different range of tones. I've been looking at Hartke's and Ampegs, and GK's...

I'm really unsure what to get, and I plan on visiting my local music store to test out what they have and see if they have any good deals. But any knowledge / hope you guys can impart would be awesome...

Thanks!

Tyler.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yes, go try some stuff out. The BA112 is a great practice amp, what you need is 300 or more watts, and at the least, a 4x10 cab.

3. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

I've always preferred head/cab. You get the flexibility to add or swap cabs for different gigs, or to replace your cabs altogether when your musical taste changes.