Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new to giging and in need of answers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by punkmetal, Jul 19, 2005.

1. punkmetal

punkmetal Guest

Jul 19, 2005
    WI (milwaukee area)
    I am new to giging for real shows and have a few questions i am hoping can be answered in a forum.

The main thing i need to no is what is a good amp configuration for small to medium stages

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    One good 410 cab and at least 600 watts to drive it.

3. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    My SVT 410HLF and WT-400 seem to do the trick. That's 400 watts into a ported 4x10. While more watts is usually better, it's not always necessary. Just look around local shops/ the internet for stuff you're interested in and that you can afford then check here or www.harmonycentral.com for reviews. Also don't forget to check the talkbass for sale forums, great deals over there. Speaking of money and stuff, how much do you have to spend on your rig? God Bless. -Brad

4. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    He did say small to medium...there are some on these forums that will tell you only a Cadillac will do, when a Honda is in order. 400 watts would be plenty, but Munj is right on the cab...go with a 4x10 rather than 1x15.

5. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    svt 3 pro
    410hlf

all ampeg
    all the time.

6. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    A 1x15 with 200-300 watts could be enough for most situations, thought you can go wrong with the 4x10 idea. Probably a high output 2x10 combo would be alright too, though that might be pushing it a little.

The accoustics of a room can make a big difference on power requirements. The more space (say a high ceiling) the more power/speaker area you will want.

7. Whatever you get, make sure it has a DI output. That way, if you do find yourself lacking in power on a larger stage, you can plug into the PA for a boost.

8. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    How much money do you have to spend?

What kind of music does your band do?

Do you play an B-E-A-D... or E-A-D-G... bass or what?

Are you after a specific type of sound?

How loud is the rest of the band?

9. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    There we go... good questions!

one other thing:

Do you prefer combos or separate head and cab?

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

What lo-freq asked!

11. Dell

Dell

Apr 7, 2005
    With or without a full PA?
    I have been gigging for years using a Peavey 80W combo, and just got myself a 100W head. But Ive always played in places that has a full PA.

12. I'm w/ Dell on this one....
    Whats your budget, how much volume do you need, and how much do you want to lug around.
    10 yrs ago, i went out and bought a 1X15 and a 2X10 Hartke 3500 setup. I can't say ever in my 10yrs of giging that i took the whole system and turned it up past 2 or 3. The stuff ain't light, an i found over time most of it was unnecessary.
    Most clubs that i play at have sound reinforcement or P.A. and my rig is nothing more than a heavy loud stage monitor. Might want to consider something very versatile and light that will allow you to expand should your needs down the road change. Buy a small head now (like 350-600watts) and a small full range cab

13. punkmetal

punkmetal Guest

Jul 19, 2005
    WI (milwaukee area)
    I am currently runinning a 5 string in standard tuning through a hartke 3000 (300 watt and have DI) head into a 410 cab. I also sometime will use a 4 string but i mainly will stick to the five.
    I realy only need to know if a 210 or a 115 would be a good addition to my current set up. I play heavier stuff but i jump all over the place. and i am not sure if i am gonna run throught the PA I would like to but our current pa might not have enough DI jax

http://www.purevolume.com/failedsystem

I am not playing on those recordings but thats the band i just joined ( i changed almost all of the bass parts to better fit and make the songs sound more interesting) ( o and the sound quality isn't the greatest cause it was recorded with a camcorder)

14. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    If you already have a 410 I would add a 115, assuming the 410 is rated to 8ohms. If its rated lower you cannot add an additional cab without damaging your head as the Hartke 3000 can only go down to 4 ohms.

15. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    I'll second that. Great idea and you'll have plenty of volume for any situation you may deal with.

Good luck and rock out!! :bassist:

16. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    That looks like three out of five... :meh:

I think you should buy some carrots (and Ritalin).

17. punkmetal

punkmetal Guest

Jul 19, 2005
    WI (milwaukee area)
    money really isn't that big of a deal i have some saved and i earn it fast

I aim for a low sound with some balls thats y the 115 makes a good choise, but i haven't had ne problems with hitting a clear low B note with my 410. recently i came across a matching 410 for an awesome deal but i am not sure if that'll be over kill or if my head will power it ( 300 watt head and TWO 300 watt cabs if i got it)

did get the last 2

18. punkmetal

punkmetal Guest

Jul 19, 2005
    WI (milwaukee area)
    the band is loud, but we pracitce in a basement so everything is loud. i compete to be heard about 50% of the time cause the guitar is running a 412 sonic that realy packs some punch, and i am right on top of the drummer. But obove all i would rathe have some cushin in case i would need to get louder
    (all standard tuning for me)
    if i didn't get them all yet i am lost

19. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I'm a firm believer in having as much headroom as possible.
    dB/Watt is not linear, so the more power, the merrier.

The GK 1001RB II & Kustom GrooveBass heads have a fair following here -- I haven't used either.

If you like the tone of Ampegs, go big: SVT-4 or get a SVP-Pro preamp and something like a Crown MA2402 or Stewart World 2.1 or QSC RMX 1850HD power amp.

If money is not an issue, you have a multitude of options.

Heavy-Punk-Metal to me is big Ampeg hybrid amp or 'whatever' all tube amp (Mesa 400+ or vintage Ampeg SVT).

Cabs are going to influence your tone as much or more than the bass guitar + amp.

The sealed Bergantino's apparently go good with tube amps: NV215 would definitely work (and with just about any amp).

Epifani 212UL or 410UL would probably go good with that type of sound.

Schroeder 21012 will very much get you there (and really loud with 600-2000W).

You need to get out and visit a bunch of decent MI stores and check out as much gear as possible.

20. punkmetal

punkmetal Guest

Jul 19, 2005
    WI (milwaukee area)
    i pretty much live at music stores. almost all my money goes twards something music.