Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New to guitar stuff

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cking332, Aug 22, 2004.

1. cking332

cking332

Aug 22, 2004
    Hey,
    Im new to all the guitar stuff, could someone tell me what would be a good bass guitar to have for a few years and maybe use in a band? Mods: sry if this is agianst the rules
    thank u
    cking332

2. yyz

yyz

Aug 17, 2004
    Bumpass, Virginia
    What type of music do you play?

3. cking332

cking332

Aug 22, 2004
    i probably plan on playing rock or punk, not sure but id like to play music kinda like system of a down's style

4. cking332

cking332

Aug 22, 2004
    anyone have any ideas for one?

5. Brat

Brat

Jun 4, 2004
    NW Indiana.
    Any price range? If your tight on $$bling$$, get something used rather than a new-but-cheap bass.

6. yyz

yyz

Aug 17, 2004
    Bumpass, Virginia
    Your best bet would probably be a Fender P Bass or some kind of Ibanez.

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    a new or used MIA (made in America) or MIJ (made in Japan) Precision Bass (also called a P bass) or a Jazz Bass (also called a J bass) are basses that you can hold on to forever. I'd have no problem gigging a new MIM (made in Mexico) Fender in a pinch... Guitar Center has these in Natural Ash that I'd consider getting for myself.

I've been pushing new players to the G&L Tribute line ... The L-2500 if'n a 5 string is something you want (yes, if you want to go deep... starting on a 5 string is fine)... or and L-2000 if'n you'll stay with a 4 string.

8. cking332

cking332

Aug 22, 2004
    ok thanx, i talked to my friend whos been playin for 4 years today and he said a good one to get for starting would be a fender squire, good choice or no? im tight on cash

9. radi8

radi8

Feb 10, 2004
    Chicago
    I have the G&L itch,too.

got my eye on a JB-2 and a used ASAT (Semi-hollow) bass.

10. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Get an Ibanez GSR200 I started with it and still use it. I've been playing for almost 3 years and still don't have any need for a new bass, it's a great biginner/intermediate bass.

11. cking332

cking332

Aug 22, 2004
    i was wondering whats the difference between a 6 string, 5 string, or 4 string bass?? Which would be best for rock/punk?

also i know how to play a 6 string acoustic so which is best for me?

12. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I'll second that. As for 6 string because you play a 6-string guitar, thats two totally different animals. 6-string basses are harder to come by in an introductory type price range, wheras 5-strings are pretty common. Also, basses arent tuned the same as guitar for 6 strings. On a 6-string bass, its tuned B E A D G C, instead of E A D G B e like a guitar. Also, the string spacing is MUCH wider on bass than guitar because the strings are bigger. A 6-string bass can be a monster for someone with small hands, that can easily play a guitar. The scale length is also longer, so stretches between frets is bigger.

Not that you couldnt start with a 6, but Id recomend a 5 maybe instead as they will be easier to find and easier to play as well. 5-string will carry you through almost any style of music, especially harder rock/punk. The low B comes in handy in those genres often, and you can cover most if not all of your basses with 5.

13. cking332

cking332

Aug 22, 2004
    wow that really helped thanx
    so what 5 string beginner bass would you guys reconmend???

14. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Whats your price range? More to the point, how much are you looking to spend? Do you have an amp or does that need to figure into it (a guitar amp wont cut it, especially with a 5-string)?

Going to be some important factors in recomending something.

15. cking332

cking332

Aug 22, 2004
    my price range is 0-250$, no i dont have an amp, but i can pay for that seperatly it doesnt have to be figured in price

16. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/search/detail/base_id/40907/src=01340

that's probably about as good as your going to get in that price range, and still a little over your $250. You can get a 4-string GSR200 for $204 at Musician's Friend though if youd rather save some money.

Here are some more options:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=bass/search?so=asc&sc=price&c=6314&so=asc&sc=price

Out of that list though, I still think the Ibanez will be your best bet, its pretty versatile, and pretty well built.

One note for you, if at all possible go to your local music store and try everyone they have in stock. They will all sound different more than likely and some will sound and feel better than others. Id play them all and see which one suits you best. Play them unplugged as well as amplified. The louder they are unplugged, the louder they are likely to be plugged in.

Your other option is to check out used stuff, but Im not sure how much better your going to get in that price range. The ibanez is a great starter bass and should carry you through for quite a while, and even if you dont stick with it, isnt a huge investment.

Something like this might do:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38080&item=3743583873&rd=1

17. cking332

cking332

Aug 22, 2004
    wow i really like that Ibanez GSR205 5-String Bass i think ill get that, also whats a good starter amp? any price

18. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    SWR LA Series Amps are good starter amps and sound good with the Ibanez. Depending on what you want to spend, the LA10 or LA12 would probably suit you fine as a starter amp.

If your playing gigs, you might want to consider something else as the LA's arent going to be big enough for a lot of gig type situations. You typically want 4x more power than your guitarist has because lower frequencies take more power to make audible.