1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New to Guts

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by peterpalmieri, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    Yer gonna love those two strings.

They are works of art.

2. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    "Better to have known Olivs for two weeks (prior to their unwinding and falling apart) than to have never known them at all."

3. And after that short and torrid love affair is over .... try out Gamut Pistoy Varnished G & D ... a long and lasting tryst worth the $$$. Wine and many fine dinners.

4. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    And then go back to steel strings.

5. Full Circle Peter .... Now aren't you glad you asked "The Question" :D ?!? Good Friggin' Luck.

6. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    (in his best elton john)"the circle of life..."

7. Gornick

Gornick

Jun 23, 2006
    Bay Area, CA

Percisely how I felt about Eudoxas after purchasing a used D and G ... I loved my bass and sound for that one month.

8. Gornick ... Et. Al. ... Y'all Speak The Truth ... But Peter, before you become entranced by the Siren's Gut and/or Gut-Like Song .... Best you do some ree-search.

Watch this important video before you make any rash decisions. Gosh .... What a coincidence ... " Howdy Do Ladies, The name's Pete :p " Don't fall into the trap like Homer's Odysseus .... 3 Gals with fine finish .... Gut G / D / A ... Need I say more :D . Of course I'm the worst guy to talk to .... I got Gamut Pistoy plain G/D/A and I love Gillian Welch. Go to Sleep You Little Baaay--Bee :atoz: :atoz: .... I been entranced.

9. Bobby King

Bobby King Supporting Member

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    You guys are being too nay-sayerish about those poor Olives. I used them and they lasted for many, many months without ever separating or falling apart. Y'all must shoot arrows with the darn things or play "psychobilly" music!

But seriously, I loved the Olive G, the D is a "?". It tends to be big, boomy and overpowering in a mixed set. It was better when I lowered the string height a bit.

I've been on a Pirastro Pizzicato kick and I love the silver wound D. It's not big and boomy like an Olive, and it's clear up the neck, unlike a plain gut D. No separations in any of the Pizzicatos this time around -- so far.

10. Gornick

Gornick

Jun 23, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Ahhh, ain't dissin' em at all, They had much more burn than I expected when I recieved them, but were still worth every penny for that one month. Some day I will have some money to burn on new ones and I am confident I will get my money's worth there too. but it was one month max.

11. Don Higdon

Don Higdon In Memoriam

Dec 11, 1999
    Princeton Junction, NJ
    I came up before steels came into general use, switched some time around '58 or '60. The other day, at Arnold's shop, there was a bass strung with guts. I played about ten seconds and started having flashbacks to bleeding and blistered fingers, trying to solo with no sustain. It killed whatever romantic notion I had about buying a set of guts. The 'good old days' weren't all that good. I guess what I'm saying is that guts are marvelous within a limited application, too narrow for me. If possible, you should search high and low for someone who is using guts and try them out before buying them.
    Many people here know I'm a huge fan of Olivs. But as Phil says, they're close, but not the same as pure gut.

12. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    You guys are freakin' killing me here. I was thinking I could get a year or two out of these strings. I am certainly not planning on spending $200 on two strings every month.

I hope your all busting my chops...

Pete

13. M Ramsey

M Ramsey

Mar 12, 2005
    North Carolina
    You'll get a year or two out of them. I have been playing my guts of late and switched back to my bass strung with a combo of Garbo and Anima Velvets. Lower action, played it for about an hour and developed a blood blister. Took the gut bass the next night and played for 2 hours with no problems.

To each his own...

14. Jeremy Allen

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    Out of plain guts, sure; but out of Olivs?
    I agree with Bobby King that we've been a little hard on Olivs, and I do know that some people (Don Higdon?) have mentioned getting years of use out of Olivs (removing them in the winter and putting them back on in the summer); but of the two students of mine who used them for pizz-intensive playing, one got two weeks out of them and one got about a month.

I just got three months out of an Oliv D and four and a half out of a G (although the G was a month past its expiration when I took it off--windings all separated everywhere and completely lifeless); the humidity has been all over the place this winter and I did take them off and on several times (and they went through my catastrophic bass wreck, which couldn't have been good for them). I like them enough to think it's worth the bread, at least for the G, to buy them every four months. But if Peter wants to plan on a year or two from his Olivs, I wouldn't bet on it.

15. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    Why is it that plain guts last longer is it the winding on the Olivs that fail?

Any location you guys can point me on plain guts in terms of set up I notice that Gamut only has a knot at the end any place for instructions on these?

Pete

16. Jeremy Allen

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    It's the difference between the two materials used in the wrapped string--gut core and metal winding. They react differently to humidity changes (and rough handling--narrow nut slots, grubby fingers) and come apart.

What do you need instructions for? The knot is just like the ball or disc at the end of a steel string; it keeps the string from sliding through the tailpiece. Dan Larson will tie the knot for you before he ships the string for like $.50, and you don't have to give it a second thought.

17. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY

Didn't realize it was that simple as I am a gut virgin. If the Olivs don't last long I'll try out the Gamuts next..

Pete

18. M Ramsey

M Ramsey

Mar 12, 2005
    North Carolina
    Peter,

I probably gave you a couple of bits of mis-information. In the original post you asked about guts.....just guts. Not any specific kind, just gut strings. Then, I re-read and saw where you play primarily arco and that sheds a ton of new light for my suggestions.

I play only pizz in a bluegrass context. Doing that, I can get several years out of a set of guts. My bass has tynex-wound gut-core Labella Goldentone strings for the G & D. I have silver (or nickel, whatever) wrapped Red-O-Rays for the E & A.

I've never played the Olivs, though I've heard the horror stories from others here about the problems with the wrap. No experience from me.

Part of what I think (just me, thinking) helps the older gut strings to work is the fact that they used to do a wrapping of silk material between the gut core and the metal wrap. It sort of works as a buffer between the two differing materials. The strings on my bass now have broken wraps on both bottom strings, though the breaks are in the middle of the length of the strings and NOT at the nut or bridge. No buzzes for me, yet. They have been on the bass over 2 years now.

Now, again, this all comes from the pizz perspective in the bluegrass genre. What works for me, may or may not work for you.

19. Don Higdon

Don Higdon In Memoriam

Dec 11, 1999
    Princeton Junction, NJ
    Yes, I've gotten 3-4 years out of Olivs. I put them on for the orchestra year, September through early May, take them off until the next Sept. I use Oliv only for arco; I have no experience with them as a pizz string.
    As an aside, has the repair of your bass been completed?

20. Jeremy Allen

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    Ah...well, the repair will start when the insurance company sends me the check. Everything is completed, claim-wise, except for the actual money arriving. Then, according to the estimate, it should be about one year. I've learned a lot about insurance in the process!

Aside completed...